Hurry! visit Flushing NYC

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

wideimaging
Modern Fan

Hurry! visit Flushing NYC

Postby wideimaging » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:21 am

The major change community of NYC. Sky View Parc (1,100 condos), Flushing Commons (600 condos) now gets a proposed 200 condo proposal (purchased for $20M in 6/2010 - the 3'rd developer in 26 years - while the property decays and nothing is done) to replace a Thomas Lamb landmark RKO Keith's Theatre (completed 1929) on top of hundreds of unoccupied condos in congested town center. Flushing BTW was the host city for the 1939 and 1964 World's Fairs, Home to the US Tennis Open and Citi Field (was Shea Stadium). Population about 90,000.
The neglected original looking better than the proposed fuzzy concept
Last edited by wideimaging on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:57 am

Hmmmm.

I had a crazed 3 AM cab ride through Flushing a few months ago en route to NJ. The Unisphere was looking particularly fetching at that hour. I've always meant to get out there and explore when I am in the area. We're big world's fair fans at our house. Sorry to hear it is not more appreciated.

The other place in that neck o the woods I have always wanted to check out is the Louis Armstrong house museum. Not that Louie isn't cool in his own right, but apparently, the house is miraculously intact.

Get a load of that gorgeous kitchen!

http://www.louisarmstronghouse.org/visi ... erview.htm

Thanks for the nudge....I'll try and get to it sooner, rather than later!

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Here's a very long, very informative but depressing thread about the Flushing RKO Keith's Theatre. Most of the photo links don't work anymore, but some do.

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/834/

wideimaging
Modern Fan

Postby wideimaging » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Yea Deanna I know I have posted numerous photos there as SWCphotography, that so many links don't work is a testament to how long this drama has dragged on. The argument that the only way to save a landmark is by condo conversion is one you see too often.

wideimaging
Modern Fan

Thomas Lamb's 1929 movie palace: The RKO Keith's

Postby wideimaging » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Flushing New York, the most over developed community in the Nation, moves one step closer toward demolition and construction of a 357 rental unit apartment building. My little youtube statement created after sneaking in to photograph the auditorium closed to the public since 1986:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=117fo2tVDvg

Return to “Roadside Rambling”