House on the Rock — Spring Green, Wisconsin

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

House on the Rock — Spring Green, Wisconsin

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:06 am

Holy cow, the trip was sooo worth it. The House on the Rock is alive and waiting for you in Wisconsin, just a few hours drive from Chicago. The full-on self-guided walking tour took us about four hours. There were several moments that took me to my knees; truly, they were WTF moments like no other.

The man responsible for the glory, the grandeur, and the horror of the House on the Rock is Alex Jordan. He's akin to Walt Disney, Walter Knott and Frank Lloyd Wright for building his fantastical dreams and making them a reality. Jordan seems to have been quite a showman and a huckster as well. If building one bare-breasted-mannequin-angel and hanging it over the world's largest carousel (80' diameter!) wasn't enough, he'd add a hundred bare-breasted-mannequin-angels and hang them over the world's largest carousel (still 80' diameter).

I won't be able to explain the things I saw at House on the Rock and photograph them is next to impossible. Not only is it dim inside the house, but it's covered over in layer upon layer of stuff. Trying to photograph the whole cannot be done and trying to explain what it was you just saw is just as impossible.

The House on the Rock is a mind-f*ck. You can hear Alex Jordan, and the living, breathing entity that is the House on the Rock, laughing at you throughout your journey. If you haven't experienced it for yourself, you must go. Really. Go!

www.houseontherock.com

ImageImage
ImageImage

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:07 am

But did you like it?

You don't have any outdoor photos above, so Lotta Livingites really need to go to the web site. (From the above, I was thinking Madonna Inn, but no so.) And at the web site, the 20 page PDF brochure is much better than the web site.

If you need to be talked down, let me know, but you do seem to be enjoying your rock high.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:10 pm

The only shots I took of the exterior aren't worth sharing. The real interest lies inside the House on the Rock.
The place could drive a man to drink, and I certainly would have too if I had known what I was getting into. Although I left exhausted and overwhelmed, I would most definitely return to the House on the Rock. The place is a whacked out, Miyazaki nightmare and I adore it.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:05 pm

i am doing research for an upcoming road trip - i had seen the name house on the rock and pictures of the outside - but never ever knew THAT was what was inside... i think it will be going on the list!
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Return to “Roadside Rambling”