San Francisco: any hotel recommendations?

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

62P&K
Modern Master

San Francisco: any hotel recommendations?

Postby 62P&K » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:46 am

travelling to San Fran for the first time in october. The wife and I like clean, comfortable, affordable places to stay but don't necessarily need all of the creature comforts as we prefer to spend our time out checking out the sites, not in the room.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any midmod sights that you recommend in the area would be great to hear about as well.
Jennie and Zane

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:09 am

Big question is- will you be driving/have a car there?

Anything in particular you like to do (besides lovin MCM)?

I'll see if I can come up with some ideas for you...

SF is always super, super fun.
Can you tell I miss it?

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:38 pm

This is a strange recommendation in that I just canceled a reservation there, but when I did the research a few months ago - looking for something toward Golden Gate Park, I found this very MCM kind of place:

http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/sanfrancisco/laurel_inn

The reason I canceled was that although the person I was visiting was nearer the Lauel Inn, that it was better to be near Bart overall. Still, it looks swell, and was reasonable - more reasonable if you join their club (which is free). But then, San Francisco is pretty much on sale right now at all levels.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Jennie and Zane-

Sky gave you good advice! Any of the Joie de Vivre hotels are fun, hip and reasonable. Haven't stayed in any of the SF ones, but the Phoenix is iconic, and centrally located. Laurel is in a great neighborhood if you are driving, but not as ideal without a car.

If you have a car, the Kabuki ( also one of theirs) is neat. I think if you shop around you can get a package with entrance to the VERY japanese style Kabuki spa next door. Just be aware, some days and times are men only, others women only. But it is a great experience....and no talking in the Satori room. Best sauna in the west Huge room with glass walls- and the world's coldest cold plunge. Woo Hoo!

Not much left in the way of MCM hotels in SF unless you stay in a cheapie out in the Richmond or Sunset, which will be loud. I was sad when the old Cathedral Hill hotel ( formerly the Jack Tar) on Van Ness closed, but they had stopped keeping it up. I had a nostalgic visit there in 08.

I remember it being quite impressive to a kid circa 1970 or so:

Don't miss the museums while you are in SF. The DeYoung in Golden Gate park has an enormous Oceanic Art exhibit which sadly will not remain in the permanent collection. Worlds largest collection of real stuff that inspired Tiki. Changed my views forever. Plus....actual "shrunken heads"... Coooooool:

http://deyoung.famsf.org/deyoung/collec ... ceanic-art

Stuff like THIS!

and THIS

Not to be too goofy-these things have a deep spiritual presence. It was like meeting a crowd of ancestors-actually very moving. Great, great stuff!

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

sky

Postby sky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:44 pm

A few interesting things from my weekend trip.

There was this Raygun Gothic Rocketship at Embarcadero (I was told by a local not to use the superfluous "the"):

An FLW building near Union square:

This was at the Joe DiMaggio playground in North Beach:

And the ubiquitous Transamerica pyramid:
Image Image Image

I did see the Laurel Inn on a drive-by, and it looked pretty well. In event event, let us know what things you found there on your trip.

(Photos restored, 07-24-2011)

sky

Postby sky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Forgot to mention this - but another weird recommendation because I didn't actually do it ... there's a new Walt Disney Family museum in (the) Presidio. I only saw the signs for it, which are everywhere:

And the only reason I didn't go see it was because my daughter whom I was visiting had just been there. But she did say that it was very good.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:52 pm

OOh, good choices Sky......
hm. Wondering about calling it "embarcadero"....I'm from there, and have always used "the" just as you would say "the alameda" in San Jose....hmm. Maybe it's changing?

Hope you got to go in the FLW designed gallery on Maiden Lane off Union Square. It's actually a mini version mock up for the Gugggenheim, complete with central spiral staircase.

Incidentally, they specialize in 'primitive' art not unlike what I saw earlier. I have the most gorgeous 19th century Indonesian woven silver cuff from there. It's a very cool space full of great things.

Gotta love SF!
Gabby

sky

Postby sky » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Gabby wrote:Wondering about calling it "embarcadero"....I'm from there, and have always used "the" just as you would say "the alameda" in San Jose....hmm.

Or the Bronx. I was dubious about that remark too. But later I saw he did have a point:

Gabby wrote:Hope you got to go in the FLW designed gallery on Maiden Lane off Union Square. It's actually a mini version mock up for the Gugggenheim, complete with central spiral staircase.

Not this time, drat! My allotted time for exploration was between 6 and 9am. Maybe the 62P&K dude will abide with some snapshots here.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:00 pm

bosh.....that's just embarcadero transit station (looks like the BART side).
No one would call a station "the bronx" would they?

I think we're right.

Probably better NOT to have time to shop on Maiden Lane. It's pretty spendy!

Gabby

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:48 am

thanks for all of the suggestions. we ended up staying outside of SF for budget reasons but we got a car and will be hitting up some cool sites.

FYI about the Disney museum. Las Vegas Lynn, right here on LL, is one of the collection curators for the Disney museum. We will be checking that place out, for sure...
Jennie and Zane

Return to “Roadside Rambling”