Midcentury musts for NYC?

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Trixie
Modern Groupie

Midcentury musts for NYC?

Postby Trixie » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:29 pm

The mister and I will be in New York City between Christmas and New Year's. Any suggestions for midcentury activities, restaurants or sites to visit?

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:57 pm

I would have thought you would have gotten a lot more help on this by now! Let me see if I can get some other started. (I grew up near NYC when it was mid-century - I haven't been back in several years - but I'm sure that the things I will suggest below are still there.)

First, because it is the right time of year, you want to see the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall. It's in Rockefeller Center, so you get to see and do a lot of great stuff there. (Get a pitcher of sangria at the restaurant overlooking the skating arena and Christmas tree.) Unfortunately, I think the Rainbow Room is gone.

Of course, you want to see and do the Guggenheim - but there are probably at least a score of museums worth seeing without regard to the structure. The Whitney Museum, though is also a significant MCM building.

See Lincoln Center, the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, Met Life (formerly Pan Am), Madison Square Garden, and the United Nations!

Eat at the Second Avenue Deli - although Katz' deli is probably more famous from When Harry Met Sally. ("I'll have what she's having.") I just saw them use the Russian Tea Room on Top Chef, so I know that's still there. I believe that Tavern on the Green is history, but maybe you'll pass by it, because you want to see Central Park anyway.

In the theater district, which for sure you'e going to visit, you might try Sardi's - famous for celebrity caricatures on the walls. The last time I was there was in the 90s and I thought the food was kind of blah, but it was still fun.

If your path is through Jersey, there's great diners all over the state.

If you get out towards Queens, for sure the Unisphere is still there where the World's fair was. There might be some other remnants of the World's Fair - maybe someone from the area will know and respond here. I'm pretty sure they already tore down Shea Stadium - missed it by that much. (That area is called Flushing. Someone once asked Mayor Lindsay what he thought of Flushing New York, and he said he thought it was a good idea.)

Anyway, that's a start. You probably already knew most of it. Hopefully you can get some ideas from someone who's been there more recently. But in any event, Trixie, how can you not have a great time there?

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:14 pm

An earlier thread on this topic
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4873&highlight=

plus one of my favorite style-wise restaurants, with great food
http://www.arcspace.com/architects/DillerScofidio/Brasserie/

scowsa

wideimaging
Modern Fan

Postby wideimaging » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:07 am

If you head out to Flushing Meadows and Corona Park you will not be disapointed with the Unisphere from the 1964-65 World's Fair. There is also the Hall of Science: a rolled curtain wall of glass blocks, an aviary (formerly the Churchill Pavilion and a giant Buckminster Fuller dome), The Queens Museum (formerly the site for the UN and NYC pavilion for both '39 and '64-65 Fairs) - now being renovated. But you will also see the most incredible landmarked building you will ever see, in fact, excepting the Empire State building, it is seen by more people on a daily basis than any other landmark in New York and ironically the last thing New York should ever want to advertise: Philip Johnson's masterpiece - The New York State Pavilion; The world's largest prestressed cable roof and 252' tall observation towers (it also houses the world's largest map - a $1M 1964 dollars terrazzo tiled floor map of NYS cracked beyond recognition - but that was covered with gravel this year) in utter squalor rusted and un-maintained since 1967; despite its potential as huge asset it has become the last thing NYC should ever want in the form of bad publicity. You will never forget the sight - I know - I just finished a book on this building:
(Don't let the cover fool you - I took that shot, after only 10 years of decline, in 1977, during the filming of the WIZ when the pavilion was used for its set)
The New York State Pavilion: An Enduring Landmark

Caledonia
Modern Socialite

Postby Caledonia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:07 pm

For "new" MCM check out the Standard Hotel. Walk on the High Line, even if it's cold. For interesting reuse of a building (and a snack) stop into the Chelsea Market, which has tons of food choices. You could also check out some of the galleries nearby in way west Chelsea.

I prefer Katz's to Second Avenue Deli. More atmosphere.

If you can afford the Four Seasons, even for a drink, go for it!

Near Rock Center, a cheap and fun place to eat with holdover 60s time warp decor is Prime Burger. It's across from Saint Patrick's Cathedral on 51st, off Fifth.

The Ford Foundation Building on East 42nd is cool with what is basically an indoor forest. And DEFINITELY go into the Daily News Building (220 East 42nd Street) and see the lobby. It was in Superman and has the most amazing globe and is totally deco--terrazzo floors, etc.

Empire State Building Observatory will be COLD so be warned. Go near the end of the day to beat the very lengthy lines. There is also an observation deck at Rock Center.

The Chrysler is the most beautiful skyscraper of all!

Downstairs at Grand Central Station is the Oyster Bar. Sit at the counter and ask for the sandwich menu at lunch and you will say much moolah.

A semi-secret tip is that you can pay to eat in the Delegates Dining Room in the UN. Check out the United Nations website for more info.

Any more specific questions? I have lived here all my life and I'm a big NYC know-it-all. Not too many East Coasters on the board so ask away...

wideimaging
Modern Fan

The New York State Pavilion

Postby wideimaging » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:21 pm

A last minute revision
The updated link:
The New York State Pavilion

Will get a writeup in the Tues. 12/21 Daily News

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Just became aware of this and couldn't resist adding it to this thread. Who'd a' thought there was a song with just building names as the lyrics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrSizc1zE4A&feature=related
scowsa

retrotravelgirl
Modern Socialite

Fab Food Suggestion in Brooklyn - IF you venture that far...

Postby retrotravelgirl » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:15 pm

How I would have loved this topic when I was there a few months back HOWEVER this place is SO freakin cool and delicious. A total 50's throw back with the best home-style cooking and decor:

http://piesnthighs.com/

166 S.4th Street (@Driggs) Brooklyn NY 11211
Email us at contact@piesnthighs.com

Follow us on the twitter @piesnthighs

For delivery call 347-529-6090

Open Monday through Friday

Breakfast 8-11
Lunch 11-4
Dinner 5-12

Saturday & Sunday
Brunch 10-4
Dinner 5-12

CLOSED EVERY DAY FROM 4PM - 5PM.
**We are Cash Only**

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Reviving this thread to post this link to Dwell's long list of NYC design-minded stores, including several vintage ones.

One to bookmark if you a planning a trip in the next year

http://www.dwell.com/articles/retails-details.html
scowsa

Return to “Roadside Rambling”