"New" MCM Polaroids

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

scowsa
Modern Guru

"New" MCM Polaroids

Postby scowsa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 am

LoL is fairly quiet these days, especially as we have exhausted our input into various projects such as Joe's bathroom and Dani's remodel.

So here's suggestion for a thread that folks may enjoy both viewing and participating in. As many of you will know, there are various photo editing programs and Apple and Android apps out there that allow one to take a photo and then apply a filter, such as making it look like an old Polaroid -- the one I use is Instagram and that's on my iTouch (I am too cheap for an iPhone.)

So let's see your "new" Polaroids of any MCM-type images you choose but with the "rule" that all elements in the photo must look like they could be of that period, so the photo looks truly like it was taken back then. So be careful of those backgrounds etc.

Here's one to start with, taken this morning on my trip to Trader Joes -- taken at this angle because the sign below says Hyundai, so that part would not meet the rule.

Let's see how creative LoL folks can be!
scowsa

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Interesting...I thumbed through my phone camera and found 6 or 8 great photos that would be perfect but for one or two small details. So this will be quite a challenge!

I'll have to give this a try; should be fun.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Aha! I figured out how to move/crop images on Instagram...so here's my first attempt based on what I already had stored in my phone.

ImageImage

Perkins Realty Group

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:58 am

Thanks, Perks. Nice job and you apparently have learned more about Instagram than I have, in regard to cropping.

Maybe you could go back and edit your post to tell us what the building is.

Here's mine for today, reminding us all that Polaroid --like all films -- started with B&W. A somewhat arty perspective of our dining table and chairs.

scowsa

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Nice! Instagram gives me a "move and scale" screen on my iPhone after I select the picture to which I want to apply the effects. I don't know if it depends on the phone--mine is the iPhone 4 so it takes much higher-resolution photos than my old 3G. Perhaps if the images are smaller, it won't allow zoom

As to the identity of the building...actually, it's just a random apartment building I came across somewhere in the Valley. I don't think I could even find it again if I tried.

And one more...a classic Palmer & Krisel butterfly roof.

Perkins Realty Group

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Well, I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but I think what you are mimicking there is Polaroid technology from the 70s and 80s! (You know where the entire photo popped out and you waved it around in the air until it developed.) If you want a real MCM Polaroid look, wouldn't it be the kind where both the photo paper and the negative came out pressed together, and then you had to pull them apart at the perfect moment?

Anyway, I decided to go with one of those earlier Polaroids. This is a recent photo where I am about to send my shrunken friend into innerspace!

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:27 pm

sky wrote:If you want a real MCM Polaroid look, wouldn't it be the kind where both the photo paper and the negative came out pressed together, and then you had to pull them apart at the perfect moment?

True. I do have a 1948 Land Camera at home. Perfect operating condition, too. Now all I need to do is figure out if any of the film for it still exists on this planet!

Perkins Realty Group

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Chris, they're a great resource and I've looked at their site in the past...IF I made some modifications to the camera, it could be retrofitted to accommodate the 4x6 film--but at a cost of $6 per exposure, plus I'd have to reload the camera in the dark after each shot. I know someone who's done that, and it takes some amazing shots on Impossible's film. I'm just not enough of a photophile to spend the money.

Oh well. At least it makes a pretty display item amongst my other useless vintage cameras.

Perkins Realty Group

Mr. Modtomic
Modern Socialite

Re: "New" MCM Polaroids

Postby Mr. Modtomic » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19 am

scowsa wrote:let's see your "new" Polaroids of any MCM-type images you choose but with the "rule" that all elements in the photo must look like they could be of that period, so the photo looks truly like it was taken back then. So be careful of those backgrounds etc.

Here's one to start with, taken this morning on my trip to Trader Joes -- taken at this angle because the sign below says Hyundai, so that part would not meet the rule.

That's such a great idea that I not only knocked a few of them out, I ran with the idea and made a "Post" out of it on my blog: Mr. Modtomic.

Here's an example of my version.

Riverside Truck Stop Motel by Mr. Modtomic 06, on Flickr

Mr. Modtomic
Modern Socialite

...another. Maddux Hardware and Furniture.

Postby Mr. Modtomic » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:10 am

Maddux Hardware Furniture by Mr. Modtomic 06, on Flickr

Snapped on our way home from Myrtle Beach SC about 5 years ago.

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:45 pm

Here's one I did not to long ago.
These sit on my office desk at work.

"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Return to “Roadside Rambling”