"You are in the Village"

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

wideimaging
Modern Fan

"You are in the Village"

Postby wideimaging » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:39 pm

I got to thinking about the late 60's Patrick McGoohan classic The Prisoner filmed in the Welsh village of Portmeirion, designed and built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis around 1925-1931. There are a number of 'villages', that have been built in short order, where you wouldn't know where you are or what country you're in. They are small parcels land that are totally out of context with their surroundings and give the illusion of being somewhere else. Aside from the obvious theme parks, there are two that come to mind:
The Belgian Village from the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair (124 buildings) lasting little over a year and a half:
The Old World Village in Huntington Beach California, built in 1977 and still there (50 buildings):

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Helen, Georgia, "A Touch of Old Bavaria in the north Georgia mountains"
This was a dead lumber town that began to reimagine itself as little Bavaria in about 1968.

All the Christmas ornaments and fudge you'll ever need.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Alpine Village in Torrance, CA.

Solvang, CA.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”