Sir George's Smorgasbord in Arcadia, CA

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Sir George's Smorgasbord in Arcadia, CA

Postby nichols » Thu May 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Opened some time before 1970, this store was very original and was, I believe, the last operating location of this Medieval themed chain of buffet restaurants. The spires once held metal flags and there was a lot more color to the whole composition, but here's a fond farewell to a place with character and story, if not very good food.

Sir George's
9 Las Tunas Dr.
Arcadia, CA

...and a 1974 letter from the owner attesting to the low quality of the food even then.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:05 pm

we went to the one on van nuys blvd. a few times. i do not remember the food - but long after the restaurant was gone - i loved seeing the spires and purple roof for years afterwards. it finally went bye bye in the mid 2000s.

so is this one still open or has it closed yet?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:51 pm

This one closed a few months ago and is for lease. Maybe we can find a new tenant to re-open and Sir George's will finally get a chance for a do-over!

RichardStout1966
Modern Groupie

Re: Sir George's Smorgasbord in Arcadia, CA

Postby RichardStout1966 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Oh man, Sir George's!! Such a place with history. Sad to see it shut down but it was great while it lasted.
Work at the best darn . 8-)

Return to “Roadside Rambling”