Zody's

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Dan O.
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Zody's

Postby Dan O. » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:48 am

Does anyone have any info on a So Cal discount chain called Zody's, they disappeared around the early eighties. I remember how I hated going to Zody's with my mom so she could by me some crappy new shoes that I'd eventually get my ass kicked over. I remember the store on Azusa ave. having a cavernous Op-Art painted interior, what better way to display a plethora of sub-standard goods?

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JAB » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:50 am

LOL, I remember 1 on the corner of East End and Holt in Pomona.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:40 pm

I remember part of the jingle: "Take a look take a look at Zody's..."

I didn't have a Zody's near me. :(

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby modfan » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:19 pm

JB the ModWannaBe posted:
LOL, I remember 1 on the corner of East End and Holt in Pomona.

I remember that one too- and the windmill Van De Kamps in the parking lot right on the corner. Later they both become something else I think- the Zody's became a Ralph's Giant supermarket and the Van de Kamp's became a mexican restaurant sans windmill. I think the Zody's is now a high school.

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:26 pm

Pasadena had an odd set-up for the Zody's at Mountain St. and Lake Av. The building was 2 story with a Von's or Market Basket supermarket downstairs and Zody's upstairs. An escalator took you up to that "polyester pants heaven", but you had to check your groceries in at a guard station I seem to recall because the escalator connected to two businesses.

The big store still stands but is half full. After the Zody's chain went out in the mid 80's Sav-on's took over the supermarket area downstairs and the second floor in now either empty or storage; BIG storage. The delicate tapered columns along the entry running about 40ft. high, look as if they were designed by Stone who did Beckman Auditorium at Caltech also in Pasadena. Anyone know if he designed this former Zody's?

SpudGirl
Modern Master

Postby SpudGirl » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:38 pm

My mom would take me to the Zodys in Huntington Beach at the corner of Goldenwest and Edinger. Then we would go to the Licorice Pizza next door... :D

SpudGirl

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:34 am

Last edited by Futura Girl on Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

modfan

and don't forget

Postby modfan » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:38 am

White Front. I remember the one on Mountain in Ontario-now a Target I think. I think the White Front Pharmacy that was part of it lasted a few years after the retail part of the store closed. I think even for a while the supermarket section became a Ralph's Giant market for a while.

KevinEP
Modern Master

Burbank Zody's

Postby KevinEP » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:56 pm

still stands on San Fernando Road, though it is now a (Super?) KMart.

The businesses in that building were always used to taunt kids on nearby schoolyards, as Zody's became Pic-N-Save became some half-hearted sporting goods store, then KMart.

redchairs
Modern Groupie

[color=darkred]ZODY'S[/color]

Postby redchairs » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:40 pm

I remember Zody's somewhere in South Bay area of L.A. - and YES, I too, was always embarrassed when my mom took me there to buy some cheap-ass clothing - although I guess it was better than the hand-me-downs from my 2 older sistahs![/b]

So_Cal_Native_in_Texas
Modern Master

Postby So_Cal_Native_in_Texas » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:22 pm

|

allen
Modern Master

Zodys Pasadena

Postby allen » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:30 pm

SpudGirl
Modern Master

Postby SpudGirl » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:52 pm

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:51 pm

modfan

Cruised by some of the places mentioned in other posts

Postby modfan » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:21 am

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:45 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:44 pm

modfan

the Akron

Postby modfan » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:07 pm

I remember the ones in Montclair and West Covina.
There stores were kinda modern post and beam and had some cool modern stuff like the sling back chairs for the patio and the slatted modern coffee tables.

hanna1
Modern Fan

white front & zody's

Postby hanna1 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:07 pm

Oh my God, We used to shop there a lot, when White Front closed we bought their Philco floor model refrigerator, had the freezer at the bottom, it lasted me 20 years!!! In those days it was like going to Target, but better, and Gemco, I miss that place, You could buy clothes, furniture, then get your groceries, and small enough you didnt get lost like CosCo, lol.
Yours in the Garden

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Zodys Pomona

Postby scottkaycee » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:51 pm

The windmill was last a "Tacos Mexico" taco stand that recently closed, and they have since then torn down the windmill. At this same shopping center there is an early Sears Store 1947 by Stiles O. Clements, it is now an indoor swap meet. The School district owns the prroperty except for the old Sears building.

And I remember shopping at Zody's in San Bernardino, across from the Central City Mall (Victor Gruen and Assoc. 1968)

rhandel
Modern Socialite

ahhh Akron!

Postby rhandel » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:03 pm

I love finding still wrapped party accessories from Akron at garage sales...who could bear to bust open the seal... l.a.Eyeworks has two tribute frames in their eyeglass collection ... one named GEMCO and another AKRON.

modfan

I remember...

Postby modfan » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:46 am

hanna1
Modern Fan

Newberries

Postby hanna1 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:11 am

Yours in the Garden

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Zody's

Postby lasvegaslynn » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:45 pm

Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

Don-O
Modern Socialite

Postby Don-O » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:33 pm

For further details:
http://donosdump.com

thirtyhelens
Modern Groupie

Re: [color=darkred]ZODY'S[/color]

Postby thirtyhelens » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:45 am

modfan

From that location described

Postby modfan » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:24 am

Modmel
Modern Socialite

Postby Modmel » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:11 am

modfan

Another unsuccessful discount store

Postby modfan » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:06 pm

SCOA-Serving Communites Of America-there was a store in West Covina-
vicinity of the City Hall-building might still be there with some other retailer. Wasn't any different than any of the others at the time-maybe why it's no more.

hiltiki
Modern Fan

Postby hiltiki » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:36 pm

I rememner Zody's on the corner of Sunset Bl. and Western in Hollywood . It had awful stuff but it was cheap. I hated the name and made fun of it all the time. Also there was a Akrons across the street from May Co.which is a fabulous building on the corner of Whilshire and Fairfax in LA I use to go to. Akrons was fun, something like Target. Affordable and nice.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”