Coming to Cali, please help!!!

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lowend47
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Coming to Cali, please help!!!

Postby Lowend47 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:44 am

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:22 am

San Diego or Los Angeles?

Lowend47
Modern Groupie

Postby Lowend47 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:31 am

Flying into LA, might be making a trip to SD, thats what Im trying to figure out, can you persuade me either way?

asastre
Modern Fan

sites to see

Postby asastre » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:09 pm

In LA you can see Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock House(Hollywood), Franklin House (Hollywood at the top of Franklin St)and Enis-Brown House(Los Feliz). The latter is only open to the public the last weekend of every other month so you have to be sync with that timing. There is a Richard Neutra house close to that one also open for viewing only once a month.
There is a pavillion by FLW at the LACMA 8)

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby L.A.kevin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:17 pm

The Neutra VDL is open every Sunday, but you gotta make a reservation first : http://www.neutravdl.org/tours/tours.htm

The Schindler House in West Hollywood is a great place to check out too. As is the Hotel Argyle for a Deco fix.

Also, may I suggest a great site to help you plan your itinerary:
http://www.laokay.com/#Architecture

Kev

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:25 pm

I live in San Diego but must admit LA's has more "modern" things ... first off, at LAX, do not miss the Theme Building! Make time for a drink.

Totally off the "modern" tour but necess. nonetheless is a trip to the Getty -- it's free, and one of the greatest museums in the world.

The Wright and Neutra sites are well worth checking out, but I say slide on over to Burbank and go to Bob's Big Boy -- lovingly restored, and just out of sight.

As for San Diego -- some very nice Polynesian hotels and that's about it. Go to www.Critiki.com , type in San Diego, and you'll see--

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:32 pm

I wonder if asastre was possibly referring to the Japanese Pavillion at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art? Designed by Oklahoma's own Bruce Goff (and Bart Prince) Photos: http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/goffla/goffla.html

Give us more of an idea of what you're into. You can't come here and not see DISNEYLAND!

JAB

Postby JAB » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:07 pm

Come on SS don't sell SD short. The grass isn't always greener. :wink:

http://www.modernsandiego.com/

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:29 pm

Well, this link is certainly a shocker! There are of course several nice modernist homes in La Jolla, but otherwise it's been pretty bleak --

Let me chew on this website and get back to you --

JAB

Postby JAB » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:12 pm

While your chewing, note that there was a home tour and modern show last year, in October, sponsored by San Diego's SOHO, Save Our Heritage Organization, and I believe that there are plans for another this coming October.

http://www.sohosandiego.org/

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:34 am

The modernsandiego website is on the clunky side but it gets an absolute 10 for opening up an outstanding slice of sd history I was unaware of -- FOUR Neutra homes in SD? With a Chapel at Miramar air station? -- who woulda thunk? And this Mr. Delawie fellow -- I've often wondered who designed that sublime little office bldg on 5th, a few blocks before you get to the "heart" of hillcrest. I mean, it really is an absolute jewel.

Not enough pictures in this website! What I would recommend to modernsd would be something along the lines of critiki.com, where tiki aficianados hunt out tiki bars, motels, etc in their neck of the woods and them upload pix/text to critiki and the resulting database is open to all. should modersd ever have such a function, would be only too glad to document "modern" in my neighborhood -- believe it or not there actually is some in Imperial Beach -- and then upload it to modernsd.

Ah, well. Thank you, sir, for turning me onto this aspect of sd of which I was unaware. this is truly one of the great utilities of these message-board communities, is it not?

but anyway, on the post that started this string, this person who is coming to SoCal and wants to know where to go, well, I still say the biggest bang for the buck is LA. the modernist bldgs in modernsd -- one really does have to root them out, whereas in LA there are so many more modern examples that or more or less in your face.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

If you are arriving via LAX

Postby modfan » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:40 am

Stop by Pann's for something to eat-it's near the airport-I think there is a URL like panns.com or something-else do a google on it.

If you arrive via Burbank Airport, stop at the Bob Big Boy in Burbank for some eats.

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:04 am

And don't forget that Kitsch Masterpiece, !

805 West Manchester Avenue, Inglewood, CA 90301
Last edited by freddiefreelance on Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

JAB

Postby JAB » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:04 am

Mr. Delawie actually played host in one of the homes that he designed during the tour last year.

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:28 pm

JB -- I'll definitely want in on the next tour! I want to shake that man's hand! I tried to find more pix of his houses, bldgs ... but came up woefully short. Can you recommend a source?

Randy's Donut -- I have supped there often. Delicious. And, like most everything else in LA, cheaper than the similiar item in San Diego.

Visitor to SoCal -- please note: Randy's Donut is almost right next door to LAX.

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:13 am

SS,

I am glad that JB took the time to enlighten you. San Diego has quite a bit of modern legacy, and as a local you need to know. San Diego's Modernism weekend is being held in late (I will post on "Events" when itinerary is solid) October this year. Homer Delawie serves on the modern commitee and will be involved in several home tours including at least two of his own designs. I must correct you however, the building on 5th that you refer to above (the Design Center) was designed (1949) by Lloyd Ruocco who is arguabley San Diegos best modernist architect.

Modern designs can be found all over San Diego. LA certainley has more noted works but the regional work of San Diego's modern architects and artists is abundant and truly fantastic.

Chimay

Late to the Party

Postby Chimay » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:06 pm

I missed most of the discussion on this topic, apparently, but since I'm in SD and have lived here for about 25 years, I'll chime in. There are strong concentrations of mid-century modern residential architecture in SD to explore - especially in Point Loma, PB, La Jolla, and Del Mar, as well as Alvarado up by SDSU. Also a few pretty cool apartment complexes and commercial buildings in the Clairemont area. Another source is Dirk Sutro's Guide to San Diego architecture. If you know where to look, there's quite a bit to find. Granted, it's not as easily accessible as LA, probably.

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:16 pm

Hey Chimay,

Is that really bitchin' diner on Washington, just East of the 163 overpass still there? Last time I saw it, the owners had paneled over the windows on the inside, put up crown moulding, and papered cows all along the top of the wall near the ceiling. That place used to have the coolest sign...

ah the memories...

Probably torn down and a new Tuscanesque condo built in it's place.

Kevin

Chimay

Diner Still There

Postby Chimay » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:18 pm

Yeah, I used to live in the Uptown District, right next door to that diner. It is, in fact, still there. It changed owners a couple of years ago, and it's gone back to a more original googie theme.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I think there are some pics

Postby modfan » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:56 pm

Of mid mod homes in the gallery to the areas that were mentioned in the posts-in the residential/sfh/san diego and sd modern -2 of em-mostly Palmer and Krisel but I managed to get 1 pic of the William Kesling project in La Jolla. Have a glance.

Chimay

SD Modern Homes

Postby Chimay » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:57 pm

Yes, I saw that. You got my home in your gallery, too. I can post some inside photos of it, if you like. It's in the middle of a renovation/restoration now.

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:20 pm

I wish I could figure out how to post to the gallery. I've got some interior shots of Richard Neutra's private residence I'd like to post. I've tried using guest/guest as a password and user name, and have not been able to.

Kevin

Chimay

Post to gallery?

Postby Chimay » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:26 pm

Anyone know how to do this? Megamail, or Joe? We're stumped. I assume you need special permission? I have some interior photos and others of San Diego architecture I was planning to share.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:48 pm

i was able to log in and upload some pictures using the guest/guest login, however it took a really really long time for the various uploading screens to pop up (and i have a pretty decent connection) - so maybe be very very patient? the "add new nested album" function was broken. i will try to get that fixed sooner rather than later. so for now try to find the most appropriate folder to put your pics in.

please lets continue this discussion and let me know what your experiences are under this topic
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1507

Return to “Roadside Rambling”