Pasadena Architecture

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
texasdago
Modern Master

Pasadena Architecture

Postby texasdago » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:29 pm

So... besides the obvious like The Gamble House and Ambassador College, can you guys clue me in on some great architecture to catch in Pasadena. If I remember correctly, there's a FLW house but any and all ideas would be great.

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JAB » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:51 pm

Michael, check the archives. I remember at least 1 topic with some suggestions on a driving tour etc... in Pasadena. When are you coming out? There's a modern home tour scheduled for March 20th in Pasadena.

texasdago
Modern Master

Postby texasdago » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:11 pm

Oh... Rose Bowlish time :)

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Pasadena

Postby SDR » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:52 pm

Well, Gebhard and Winter's 1982 guide gives 49 pages to Pasadena / San Marino; who do you like? Pasadena is credited with "the greatest concentration of Craftsman architecture outside of Berkeley," including of course the wonderful collection of Greene & Greene houses. Santa Barbara-style Spanish Revival is also well represented. There are one or two each of Irving Gill, FLW, Lloyd Wright, H H Harris, Schindler, Neutra, Ain, Thornton Ladd, Smith and Williams, and Buff, Straub and Hensman, but the emphasis is on other styles; the "City Beautiful"-inspired Civic Center (from 1923) is a "quite magnificent. . .combined effort of [several] Beaux Arts disciples."

SDR

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:54 am

Pasadena is full of great stuff. I would suggest packing a lunch and driving around in circles starting at the Rose Bowl. This may sound a bit unfocused but I do it frequently and really enjoy it. I do not know exact addresses but you will come across works by all of the LA greats as well as some relative unkowns that are amazining. I am sure that someone else on this board can give you some exact locations.

You also my head just a few exits up the freeway to Altadena and catch case study #20 BSH, Neutra etc. Happy Hunting.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Pasadena

Postby SDR » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:40 am

'Mod -- I would be glad to quote at length from the LA guides I have. Does Houston have an architectural bookstore?

Just went over the Riverbend / Memorial Drive pictures again -- love looking at the old ads and occasional floorplans. The living-room / family room duo was a genuine mid-century phenomenon, I guess, inspired in part perhaps by a search for the "correct" place for the TV?

SDR *** (atomic tree ornament?)

texasdago
Modern Master

Postby texasdago » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:14 pm

Yes... there is a good architecture bookstore that I can check out... plus B&N or Amazon.com should have what I'm looking for, too. Houston is the 4th largest city in the country - if you can't find it here, you can't find it. :wink:

I am looking forward to seeing all of the craftsman style architecture. I attended an "executive" education class at CalTech in 1999 and stayed at the Huntington Hotel. I thought the area was gorgeous... I just didn't pay enough attention to the architecture back then. This will be different...

If you like the Memorial Bend page, you might also like this page (a work in progress, obviously): http://users.ev1.net/~michaelb/sc/sc_index.htm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

'Bend

Postby SDR » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:51 pm

Yeah, Tex, keep THAT up!

:cheers: :cheers:

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:04 pm

If you had time, you could browse the library and/or bookstore here:
http://www.pasadenahistory.org/

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:23 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Packard

Postby SDR » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:08 pm

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:51 pm

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:21 pm

In the residental class you can't go wrong with a look at the Wallace Neff "Bubble House" in the very Southern portion of Pasadena. Found at 1097 S. Los Robles, it is a sharp contrast to normalcy in the well off 'hood. Had a chance to see the interior about 12 yrs. ago when it was on the market. Like living in the inside of a kiln. Seems like I remember that the garage is box unlike the house. The similarity to the Flintstones abode cannot be avoided and a smile often follows upon catching first sight of the concrete landmark tucked in the sheltering trees. I think they were trying to get 325 for the thing in 92'.

texasdago
Modern Master

Postby texasdago » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:21 am

Excellent... thank you for the great ideas...

allen
Modern Master

pasadena-schindler-packard house

Postby allen » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:05 pm

Schindler's Packard house is L O N G G O N E . It was for sale, vacant w/ doors unlocked for several months at $ 650,000. 4 Bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, pool, built 1924. The lot was 31,363 sq.ft.of flat land. It finally sold and was soon demolished. Another MAGA-MANSION took its place. Close by is a CASE-STUDY HOUSE by Spaulding & Rex at 857 Chapea Rd. and at the west end of Pasadena is Kemper Nomland's Case-Study House at 711 S. San Rafael Ave.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”