Jerry's Pancake Parade Restaurant San Leandro Picture

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Jerry's Pancake Parade Restaurant San Leandro Picture

Postby roadsidepictures » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:33 pm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lynxwiler » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:20 am

Holy cow! It's gorgeous! But I have no idea if it still exists.

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby Chris Merritt » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:28 pm

That is an amazing building!

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:58 am

romleys
Modern Groupie

Jerry's Pancake Parade

Postby romleys » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:52 pm

Jerry's Pancake Parade is indeed an Oriental Tea House today. The building is deteriorating but the exterior has not changed much at all. There is a walk up burger joint next door that is called Jerry's Beefburgers. It is still open today :(different owners): These two restaurants share the same parking lot that still has signs saying Parking for customers of Jerry's Beefburger or pancake parade restaurant. I guess one place (beefburgers) was for people on the go while the pancake house was for nice long family meals. I still have an unstruck matchbook from Jerry's Pancake Parade :)

[/img]

sjacobs748
Modern Groupie

Postby sjacobs748 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:52 pm

It was neat running across these entries about my dad's restaurants. He passed away a few days ago, and so my wife, on a whim and looking to cheer me up, googled "Jerry's Beefburgers" and came up with hit on the restaurant and the drive in.

The original business was incorporated as Floyd L. Jacobs & Sons. Floyd L. Jacobs was Jerry's dad and he ran a lunch counter in Swan's Department store in Oakland.

Two weeks after graduating from San Leandro High, Jerry, along with his brother Bob, joined the Marines, and served in the South Pacific. After the war, they returned to the family business. After a couple of years they opened their own places. My uncle Bob opened a string of Bob's Burgers in the south bay area. Jerry built Jerry's Beefburgers about 1953, and a few years later Jerry's Pancake Parade.

When the drive-in was first opened, you could buy a commerative soda glass and get it refilled for free. They were sturdy glasses and even when I started working there in the mid-60's people would still bring those commerative glasses in for a free refill.

Jerry had six children, all of whom worked at least several years in either the drive-in or the restaurant. I started working at the drive-in when I was ten and worked there until I was twenty. We were really lucky. The people working there were great. But, none of the kids wanted to go into the restaurant business as a career so eventually both businesses were sold.

Seth Jacobs

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:31 pm

Seth, you have my condolences. Thank you for sharing this information with us! It's always nice to hear the history of these places from family members. I'll write the information on the back of my postcard.

Here's the postcard I have of Jerry's Pancake Parade:

sjacobs748
Modern Groupie

Postby sjacobs748 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:32 am

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:01 pm

There's a Jerry's Coffee Shop in Mojave that has a very similar Jerrys' logo.

Are the two related?
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:20 am

I have a fantasy of living in a googie building.

When I walk into Pann's, Denny's, or see images like to one above, I instantly image it as a home. So neat-o.

sjacobs748
Modern Groupie

Postby sjacobs748 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:30 pm

There's no relationship to a Jerry's Coffe Shop in Mojave. He did build a Jerry's in Pleasant Hill which opened in the 70's and he leased and ran a place in San Francisco for a few years.

wryellandfan
Modern Groupie

Jerry's pancake house

Postby wryellandfan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:12 am

:h: I live just a few houses away from Jerry's Pancake in San Leandro.

I have just sent a link to this webpage to the city's architectural historical commission. My email was also asking them to try to put Jerry's on our city's list of protected landmarks! Our city just had an architectural survey done for the commission. I am not sure if Jerry's Pancake was even noticed as you are often aware that midmod is often overlooked in favor of victorian and craftsman.

I will walk up to the corner an snap a photo as it is today. The block that this sits on is full of GOOGIE...Jerry's Beefburgers is Googie at it's very earliest. Then there is a carwash with the big metal beams with the holes.

I'll also send a photo of Sam's Burgers which is a very old double drive thru in the Southern California In-N-Out flair. It has some pretty cool details going on.

A new member to Lottaliving.
Mike

wryellandfan
Modern Groupie

Building permits for Jerry's Pancake Parade

Postby wryellandfan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:26 pm

:cheers:
I stopped by the San Leandro City Hall this afternoon and looked up the building permits for this building.

The microfilm was very hard to read..two names came up. going back to the original construction in 1965. There was from what I could read a Mrs Dunkirk from Hollywood involved in the project. Has any one heard of her? Was she a secretary for an architect in Hollywood? A southern California, Hollywood connection would make sense for a Northern Califormia Googie building.

Then the other name that came up was for Jens Hansen Associates. They at least did the addition later on. Could this have also been the original architect?

Has anyone ever heard of these people.

Mike

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:30 pm

wryellandfan
Modern Groupie

Thanks to SDR for posting the photos

Postby wryellandfan » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:54 pm

Thank you SDR for posting the pictures for me.

First picture is of the interior as of 2/14/2005. Notice the flying cloud ceilings. Popcorn texture and Ceiling fans are not the best of ideas.

second picture is of the exterior as of 2/14/2006. Looking slightly southeast on Mac Arthur Boulevard in San Leandro at highway I-580.

third picture is of exterior looking east. The rolling hills in the background is I-580 (low and right behind the restaurant) and the Dunsmuir Historic Estate www.dunsmuir.org.....you may remember it as being the location for the Bette Davis film "Burnt Offerings".

fourth picutre is of exterior looking north east at the back side (opposite from the main entrance)....In my humble opinion the empty lot would make a cool patio terrace restaurant space.

fifth picture is of Jerry's beefburgers and it shares the same parking lot and sits due north of Jerry's Pancake Parade. I love the boomerang shape of the sign.

sixth picture is of the Big Bear Carwash (now the San Leandro Carwash) and sits as the northernly next door neighbor to Jerry's Beefburger. Nice steel beams.

seventh picture shows Jerry's beefburgers and the carwash next to each other.

eighth picture shows Jerry's beefburgers looking north on Mac Arthur Blvd standing across the street from Jerry's pancake parade.

I am trying to get the city to create a historic preservation district for this heavily Googie block...

I hope you enjoy the pictures! :cheers:
Mike

Return to “Roadside Rambling”