Cabazon dinosaurs now evangelical Christians

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

1914-2005

Postby nichols » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:15 pm

He did great stuff. Tony scared me off from calling him by saying he was crotchety, but I'm a huge fan. Friars Club is A#1

http://www.isjm.org/news/310305for.htm

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:34 pm

Mr. Nichols,

Thanks for the obituary! I didn't hear that he had died.

Wonder what happened to his house: 2736 Motor Avenue in Cheviot Hills. 1955? Prime case for a McMansion, unfortunately.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:33 pm

--
Last edited by MD² on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:10 pm

"Dottie, there are things about me you wouldn't know . . .things you *couldn't* know. . .things. . .you SHOULDN'T know. . ."

Bender feel same way
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:03 pm

Great Life of Brian quote, while we're beating a dead horse...

Brian: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.
The Crowd: Tell us! Tell us both of them!
Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
The Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!
Brian: You're all different!
The Crowd: Yes, we ARE all different!
Man in crowd: I'm not...
The Crowd: Sch!
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Netflix

Postby MikeLindsey » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:11 am

I just added Pee-Wee's Big Adventure to my Netflix Queue.

Tell 'em LARGE MARGE sent ya!

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:52 am

Nathan wrote:First stone! Good callback!

And maybe dinos were peaceful in their Edenic state...until they ate from the tree of...never mind.

Yes, no more religion. Although I do want to say that synogogues of the 60s and 70s are the singularly weirdest building type ever.

BTW, "evangelical" doesn't necessarily connote ardent adherence to the Four Books -- it could mean a zealous enthusiasm for anything. We're all evangelical Modernists here!

Singularly weirdest? Isn't the Chemosphere a bit weird -- though beautiful and lovable?

BTW, When I was in college, I used to drive my 50cc Vespa to Brandeis, to visit friends; somewhere in Waltham, or nearby, there was a Catholic church whose design led us to refer to it as Our Lady of The Supermarket. Talk about weird -- but beautiful -- house of worship architecture!

BTWBTW, "evangelical," at least in its current usage, means "engaging in attempts to convert." usually from one religion to another. I guess that anyone who feels strongly enough about something to try to convert others to it are usually zealously enthusiastic about it, but that's not quite what the word means. (It's root is from Greek, where it means "good news," so evangeists are "bearers of the good news." ...and, to be completely pedantic: "Gospel," in middle, or maybe old, English, also means "good news.")

BTWBTW I guess we are evangelists if we're trying to convert the rest of the world to mid-century modern architecture.
Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

MD²

Postby MD² » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:35 pm

--
Last edited by MD² on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:25 pm

Ah's cummin', massa, ah's cummin' ! Show me THAT promised land. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby Chris Merritt » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:02 pm

Dear God! What is going on here?????

I just took my 2-year old thru Dinny a few months back - she loved it! Thankfully I photo documented all the "evolution of caveman" heads.

I'm sorry - but this development is just plain wrong. Claude Bell was trying to educate - not convert folks!

No way am I buying her a "created by design" shirt next time.... I'll stick to the rubber dinosaurs!

Velas
Modern Master

Postby Velas » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:28 am

wasn't the dinosaur property sold to the religious folks from Claude Bell's kin?
Does his family have any kind of comment about the change in philosophy regarding the use of the dinosaurs and property?

I think its better than a taco bell, but......
ww.panoramaonview.org

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:33 am

No, there's also a Taco Bell there now... maybe it's a Burger King... and a Denny's, definitely a Denny's.

According to Roadside America (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/get ... ionNo==129) the Bell family sold to Sherri Minkoff, who built the Denny's, etc. between the dinos and the freeway..but the Times article says Gary Kanter, the OC developer who installed the 'bible lizard' stuff bought it from the Bell family. Hmm. Maybe they are related?

>
>
>

My family bought the property from the [Claude] Bell Trust about six years ago. We have done quite a bit of development. We own the Denny's Restaurant and there is also a Burger King located on the property. We are hoping to build a full service truck stop and a hotel as soon as we can build a flood wall which is holding up any more development.

An interesting story regarding the maintenance of the dinos: We recently had them painted. It cost a total of one dollar and a case of Dr. Pepper! We worked out a deal with a painting contractor. If we let him paint our dino's he could use them in his advertising brochure. So one dollar and a case of Dr. Pepper later, the dino's look great. Rex has a zig-zag strip down his back and Dinny is painted a color of gray which is pretty real-looking. We are contacting an electrical engineer who is going to put 1,000 watt up-lighting on the dino's so people will see them miles away at night, with red glowing eyes in both.

In our Denny's we pay tribute to the man who built these beauties along with the history and cost of construction. We believe the Bell Family would like knowing their Dad and Grandfather are not forgotten. In a glass enclosure we have several original newspaper articles along with pictures of the dino's while they were under construction.

I was recently in the T-Rex and am thinking we would like to rig him up so he would make the same roar as the T-Rex did in Jurassic Park. The kids will love it. We are also thinking of having a human dummy dangling out of his mouth. Not too scary for the little ones though. Oh yeah, the T-Rex also has a bathroom in him, Pee Wee Herman insisted on one in the T-Rex when he filmed his movie there. [Sherry Minkoff, 02/15/2000]

Lookit this weirdness: http://www.frankwu.com/sherry.html

Return to “Roadside Rambling”