Manhattan Modernism

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

wideimaging
Modern Fan

Postby wideimaging » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:22 am

Well I guess I should post this landmark preservation effort here also (from Midcentury musts for NYC)
If you head out to Flushing Meadows and Corona Park you will not be disapointed with the Unisphere from the 1964-65 World's Fair. There is also the Hall of Science: a rolled curtain wall of glass blocks, an aviary (formerly the Churchill Pavilion and a giant Buckminster Fuller dome), The Queens Museum (formerly the site for the UN and NYC pavilion for both '39 and '64-65 Fairs) - now being renovated. But you will also see the most incredible landmarked building you will ever see, in fact, excepting the Empire State building, it is seen by more people on a daily basis than any other landmark in New York and ironically the last thing New York should ever want to advertise: Philip Johnson's masterpiece - The New York State Pavilion; The world's largest prestressed cable roof and 252' tall observation towers (it also houses the world's largest map - a $1M 1964 dollars terrazzo tiled floor map of NYS cracked beyond recognition - but that was covered with gravel this year) in utter squalor rusted and un-maintained since 1967; despite its potential as huge asset it has become the last thing NYC should ever want in the form of bad publicity. You will never forget the sight - I know - I just finished a book on this building:
(Don't let the cover fool you - I took that shot, after only 10 years of decline, in 1977, during the filming of the WIZ when the pavilion was used for its set)
The New York State Pavilion: An Enduring Landmark

Caledonia
Modern Socialite

Postby Caledonia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Your link doesn't work. (But I must say that you are right! The Pavilion, even in decay, is something else!)

wideimaging
Modern Fan

New York State Pavilion updated

Postby wideimaging » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks Caledonia, a last minute revision.
The updated link:
The New York State Pavilion

Will get a writeup in the Tues. 12/21 Daily News

Return to “Roadside Rambling”