Route 66 roadtrips

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Route 66 roadtrips

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:06 pm

since i posted my thread about traveling across the u.s. (but not on route 66) there have been lots od good tips on route 66 items. so i thought i'd make a separate thread for route 66...
discuss away...
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

tikifish
Modern Socialite

Postby tikifish » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:01 am

http://www.tikifish.com/trip.html

Heres my account of our Route 66 trip... Sorry for the bad formatting, I made this page AGES ago. Scroll down for pics!

Carlos Araujo
Modern Socialite

Postby Carlos Araujo » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:08 am

This is a repeat of my "Traveling across the US..." post for the benefit of those just interested in Route 66.

Kingman - Route 66 Museum
Route 66 to Seligman and Williams road-side
Flagstaff Old Town, sorry I can't remenber anything specific
Sedona is a little off course, but essential to fill you with Desert Fury
Meteor Crater, Pertified Forest
Gallup - Richardson's Pawn Shop, El Rancho Hotel and Restaurant
Acoma - Pueblo
Albuquerque - Kimo Theatre
Santa Fe - There's much to see in this famous travel destination, but for ModCom I recommend some of the 50's motels on Cerrillos road, tsatkes at Jackalopes, Museum of the International Folk Art. Ther's also an ultra hip guy with an espresso shop a block north of the plaza; I forgrot the name, but there's a retro Citroen parked in front.
"Todos vuelven a la tierra en que nacieron" Ruben Blades

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:44 am

Here are a couple of postcards accompanied by photographs that I shot while on Route 66 (Kingman, Arizona) in 1999.

googiejackalope
Modern Groupie

Postby googiejackalope » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:21 pm

Roadsidepictures, thanks for posting the Kingman pics. I shot that second place last May; it has acquired a giant moai-like head since you were there.
There's more about it on my blog: http://thelope.blogspot.com/2005/05/tik ... where.html

Carlos Araujo
Modern Socialite

Postby Carlos Araujo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:21 pm

I just returned from Santa Fe (again) and have more retro and MCM details for those interested. For accomodations, I recommend the El Rey Inn on Cerillos, and for dining, the Plaza Restaurant (guess where). The shop I mentioned on my earlier post is the Design Warehouse on Marcy Street, now sans espresso machines and Citroen, but for car enthusiasts, I spotted a fabulous 50's turquiose T-Bird near Canyon Road. For neon fans, Cerillos Road still has great argon including the El Rey Inn, but my favorite is the Saints and Sinners Bar about 15 miles NE in Espanola (sorry no pics). In Albuquerque, I recommend food and drink at the Standard restaurant (not to be confused with the Hotel) on Central between the Kimo and I-25.
"Todos vuelven a la tierra en que nacieron" Ruben Blades

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:02 pm

I am updating this thread.

I just put together some fun little road trip notes for the Route 66 from the teepee WigWam Motel in Rialto San Bernardino to Pasadena, CA. There are lots of little interesting old town centers to see if you just go a few blocks off the mother road.

I am driving this route on Sunday on my way to my parents 1940s home in the San Fernando Valley for my birthday!

Please enoy and share.

Here's the link:
http://www.lottaliving.com/guides/Weste ... 6Notes.pdf
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:03 am

Futura Girl wrote:I am driving this route on Sunday on my way to my parents 1940s home in the San Fernando Valley for my birthday!

http://www.google.com/logos/2011/lespau ... YQkBAJcMBY

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Just played the google song sky. Thanks!

We drove Route and visited every single little town between the WigWam and Pasadena.
There are many places we'd like to go back and visit at length - and most of them are right off the metrolink.

i updated the notes a bit and added a few things i forgot - like the MAGIC LAMP!!!! and the Sushi Boat!

so the link is still the same, just revised content.
http://www.lottaliving.com/guides/Weste ... 6Notes.pdf

Return to “Roadside Rambling”