Porterville and Lindsay, CA

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

khummer
Modern Master

Porterville and Lindsay, CA

Postby khummer » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:30 pm

Saw some great untouched and somewhat kept up Streamline Moderne and Art Deco in these teeny-tiny cities in Central Valley, CA. You have to check it out some time. (:

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:06 pm

So many Central Valley towns have some treasures from the early to mid century era. Many are still being used and maintained quite well. It's a slower pace here, probably not too much faster of a pace than it was in the 50's and 60's. This makes the older stuff, well, as up to date as it needs to be, save for rewiring for the information age. I hope that local planners in this region will recognize this unique aspect and try to preserve it.

It's been a while since I have been to those towns, so I will take your tip and check them out.

khummer
Modern Master

Visalia Post Office

Postby khummer » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:32 pm

Check that one out, too in downtown Visalia.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Couldn't find it with search but....

Postby modfan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Mearle's in Visalia will become a Hamburger Habit, when I drove by on Independence Day Holiday. Dunno how much of the original will be on the new one. Saw a proposed pic-looks like most of it is still there but better than it being gone or empty/vandalized, and the food will be pretty good.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1139409&d=1288905577

Return to “Roadside Rambling”