Aztec Hotel receives grant

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Aztec Hotel receives grant

Postby nichols » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:04 pm

PASADENA STAR NEWS

Grant to help update historic Route 66 hotel
By Molly R. Okeon Staff Writer

MONROVIA - The 81-year old Aztec Hotel is undergoing a major restoration, the opening stages of which are being funded by a grant from the National Park Service Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program.

The $50,000 grant is being matched by hotel owner and operator Kathie Reece-McNeill, she said this week. She bought the hotel for $1.5 million Sept. 6, 2000, 75 years to the day after it was opened.

The hotel was designed by English architect Robert Stacy-

Judd, whose buildings were inspired by Mayan and Aztec structures. The building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1976...

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_3483007

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:14 pm

More grants and restoration work at the Aztec:

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_6172532

Aztec Hotel to receive face-lift
By Patricia Jiayi Ho Staff Writer

MONROVIA - As part of restoration efforts at the historic Aztec Hotel, the Brass Elephant Bar will soon be no more, along with other fixes to alterations made over the years.

The bar will be given a face-lift and renamed to more accurately reflect the intentions of architect Robert Stacy-Judd, who designed the hotel more than 80 years ago, the Aztec's owner says.

"We really want to take it back and make it more in line with the culture and theme," said owner Kathi Reece-McNeill. "It's gotten off track somewhere along the way."..

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:38 am

we went by yesterday and were told that the property is now bank owned.
this is probably not such good news.
please let's keep an eye on the aztec.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Return to “Roadside Rambling”