Phon-e-Stone ®

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Phon-e-Stone ®

Postby SDR » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:23 pm

Thanks to Mark71665, I have an image that could be the first one in a future collection -- of photos of "Phon-e-Stone"® building siding (my own "brand name" for this ubiquitous material !).

A

I will gladly credit any other submissions to this "file" with the name of the donor. And, any information regarding the original sources of this material, and/or lore regarding its beginnings -- dates, locations, manufacturing and marketing techniques and companies, composition of actual material, etc, will be gratefully received and shared.

Having looked more or less casually at numerous installations of this masonry over time, I am not yet sure how much of it (if any) was/is actual stone; it is possible that real "split stone" or sedimentary material is used in some instances, while in others it is a manufactured product. Buildings bearing this material -- often used as in the photo, as an exterior "wainscot" or lower-wall covering, appropriately suggesting the masonry base of many structures from the past -- seem mostly to have been built in the immediate post-war era, and on into the sixties (?). Verified pre-war examples would be of interest, of course.

The colors vary from pale buff to terra-cotta to brown-gray -- with a healthy mix of these colors, and a variety of piece sizes, typical of most installations. Outside corners reveal that the depth can vary from two or three inches, to 5 or 6.

Anybody ? Real info and anecdotal ramblings welcome. . .

SDR :cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by SDR on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:32 pm

i have always been a fan of phon-e-stone!

just off the cuff, i know that the Shindler designed shops along Venture Blvd. in Studio City use this same kind stone - and there are a few others of this ilk scattered across the valley.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

as a kid

Postby modfan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:26 am

one of our houses had this (not like the fauxstone they have now) and parts of it would keep coming off. It also gave one a clue that it was fake with the occasional stone would be painted a bright primary color. Since it has been repainted less fake with the bright primary color 'bricks' painted to match the rest of the brick and plenty of plants have grown up since to obscure the part that would come off.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:29 pm

Thanks, guys -- good stuff.

Here's another stone fascia photo, also from Mark's thread ("the imaginary world -- fun old snapshots," on our Mondo Lounge board) -- this one apparently real stone (?) -- an inspiration for Phon-e-Stone ® walls (along with other sources, I believe, including Wright's and others' horizontal modern masonry).

B

I'm taking my camera out for a reconnaisance run today -- more examples to follow !

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:34 pm

Oh my gosh, that is exactly the material our fireplace was made of in the 1954 house I grew up in!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:48 pm

Bunwhisper -- which one ?

Here's what I found today:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:28 pm

#1 above is the pattern I am initally interested in -- similar to Mark's black+white photo above (A). #2 is a detail; oddities include the green color, and the delightful little groups of extra-thin stones. The more I look at this stuff, the more I become convinced that it's real stone -- the layering, charactristic of sedimentary rock, is clearly visible, at least in person.

The other shots are certainly cast stone -- the give-away is exactly-repeated irregularities in the "stone" faces. But the color variations -- other than in the hideous #4 (the WHOLE HOUSE, including two of these overhanging bays, was covered with this stuff !) -- make these kind of nice to look at, I think.

SDR

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:24 pm

Modern Motoring
Modern Fan

Postby Modern Motoring » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:49 pm

Z brick !

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:45 pm

What ! is it ?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:09 pm

while shopping at home depot today - what did i see but a display showing many classic phone-e-stone samples!!!

what a shock! you can still get this kindof facade finishing material... i looked, but unfortunately could not find it on their website. but anyone who is curious - the display we saw was right next to the contractor's checkout stand.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:22 pm

Kool ! (I think this deserves a K-kool. . .)
Who knew ? I'll check this out pronto. Was this a Home Depot Pro ? Did you see my favorite Skinni-Stone ® pattern ?

Actually there is an outfit up in Napa (one passes it on the way to the wine country) that makes this kind of thing; it's been a while since I passed their highway-side display -- regularly-spaced broad piers of samples, each one different (obviously :roll:) -- and I don't recall the "long-and-low" ribbon strata that makes my Wrightian little heart go pitty-pat. . .

Rock On !
(nyuk-nyuk *snort* :cheers:)

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

the sunset

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:07 pm

Come over to the sunset SDR, walking between 9th and 12th ave between Irving and Lawton there are seemingly millions of houses clad in the faux stone. They are always a combo of the pinks and browns with weird green ones thrown in. The green is the exact color they paint the walkways of miniature golf fairways and paths.

Also, I am still trying to figure out why every house out here has to have those horrific metal gates. My neighborhood (forest hill) is so dull, yet it seems as if everyone is still afraid of the Zodiac.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:07 pm

Thanks, r'n'r -- I'll check that out. The first of my string of photos above (Feb 13) is on Gough Street -- it has some green stone accents -- and appears to be real stone ! Just now I passed the Page Street side of that building, which has a lot more of the same (and not so grubby as that little entrance portico). I'll take another photo. . .

As for the gates -- yeah, they're everywhere. We've been taught to fear our neighbors, I guess -- wonder where THAT came from ? :roll:

The old gates were sometimes inspired ironwork; now it's just a formula -- with the ubiquitous off-center circle of closer-spaced bars surrounding the latch. Ugly. . .

SDR

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:48 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:23 pm

You mean this ? I think it's kinda neat. Imitation Phon-e-stone (ie, real stone !) on Page Street. . .

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:18 am

i took a bunch of pics of the stone i saw at lowes today, but haven't had time to upload, but i did grab a brochure.

the product is called Cultured Stone by Owens Corning.
http://www.culturedstone.com
example of 2 of them

NOT as elegant as phon-e-stone, but pretty nice stuff.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:55 pm

Hmm -- yeah, and nice subtle colorings. There's more of this stuff around than I had thought.

My friend from Ohio says the product name there, years ago, was Perma-Stone -- another "cast stone" product. They thought of it as "low class" -- but I see it as a heartwarming effort to upgrade the architectural lineage -- not entirely a bad thing, nor necessarily dishonest, if done well (ie, convincingly !).

Thanks for the research -- let's not stop now ! Maybe we will even see the revival of "good fake architecture" ("Read My Pamphlet Today -- to Learn How !")

SDR

[note: Pamphlet may not be available in all postal zones -- or even written yet. . .]

Return to “Roadside Rambling”