Your Favorite Diner

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

khummer
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Your Favorite Diner

Postby khummer » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:20 pm

They say that Applebee's replaced the era of the diner. Do you have any favorite retro diners?

Mine, 101.

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JAB » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:41 pm

Mike's Hockey Burgers on Soto & Washington.

Puddintate
Modern Fan

King Taco

Postby Puddintate » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:49 pm

O.K. I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything. But lately I've been going to King Taco(Long Beach Blvd. and PCH in Long Beach) for lunch. The food is not that great , but the place used to be a REALLY NICE Norm's. I sit there with a plate of crappy nachos and a Pepsi and fantasize it's the way it used to be,the pendant lights are still there, and the flagstone is no longer painted white.Then the indegestion wakes me up and I'm back in the present and the place looks like dictator Taco.

At least it's still "upright" i guess. :x

Off of that subject,allthough it's not retro , I like Hoff's Hut. The one in the Marina used to have a nice nautical themed bar. Now the food is alot more expensive ,and the nautical room had been re-modeled. All the pictures of Captain Hoff are gone. :evil:
"Make me a Sergeant, give me the booze!"
"Please.........My nerves!"

SpudGirl
Modern Master

Postby SpudGirl » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:20 pm

1st - Earls in Orange
2nd - 101

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:50 pm

Depends what you define a diner?

Bobby's Chicken A-Go-Go, Ventura Blvd and Fallbrook in Woodland Hills, Best breakfast in town still a deal at $4.50 including coffee, best hash browns this side of Mom's, jelly in jars on the table, coffee in those 3lb cups with matching saucers. Used to be part of the early AM Surf runs back in High school, (late 60's)

Not really a diner, but My Brothers Bar-B-Q on Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills, just the same as it was in 1959, same old waitress too! The Gold standard in B-B-Q sauce.

In Ventura, Allison’s Cafe on Telephone, Best biscuit and gravy in the world!

There used to be a diner in Burbank, near the Aerospace plant, (Lockheed?) that was just counter, maybe some booths, you watched the cook in front of you. Best cup of coffee ever!

Damn! Now I am hungry!

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:52 pm

I didn't say gosh darn!!
I said Damn Yankees!

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:54 pm

what do you know about that!!!!!! :?:
Now I want to try all the words to see what they change to...

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:00 am

now now now - don't be a naughty boy, banana bobby!

this is a "G" rated forum - so the 7 forbidden words and a few others are automatically censored... you are just the first to discover it.

isn't 'gosh darn' more retro appropriate than what you typed anyway :)

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:39 am

What a bunch of #%&!!*
(You can't censor the imagination!) :wink:

All things said, I appreciate the "G" rating.

retrocool
Modern Master

diner

Postby retrocool » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:52 pm

Woody's Diner on PCH in Seal Beach is great place to go! :D

khummer
Modern Master

Rod's

Postby khummer » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:29 am

Rod's in Arcadia on Huntington Drive is a cool looking place, even though I think it's too much of a greasy spoon.

Also, Denny's in Arcadia - the windmill is really nice for a Denny's.

kh

troyaloha
Modern Socialite

Don't forget Heart's

Postby troyaloha » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:26 am

My favorite diner, very close to my mid century mansionette, is Heart's on Balboa and Saticoy.

A totally restorable and 99% intact googie diner that belongs to a very nice asian family. Very good food too, although nothing exotic.

Stop by and say hello to Sue, Susan, and Stephanie.

Mahalo-

Troy Aloha
"The Future is not what it used to be"

SkipHome
Modern Master

chef's hat

Postby SkipHome » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:01 am

my favorite diner was the chef's hat on north brand blvd. in glendale, i think between lexington and doran. i always sat at the counter with my brother and watched to cook flip eggs over. we had steak and eggs almost every sunday morning. it's long gone, like everything else on brand blvd. before "redevelopment."

Velas
Modern Master

Postby Velas » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:41 am

scamboogah
Modern Groupie

Postby scamboogah » Tue May 06, 2003 2:55 pm

Bullsh*t Jesus, those are obviously MY footprints...

Diner
Modern Groupie

Postby Diner » Wed May 07, 2003 1:55 pm

Mickey's Diner in downtown St. Paul, Minnesota . . .

Stuart :D

johnny dollar
Modern Groupie

Postby johnny dollar » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:16 am

Bel-Loc, opened 1964.

1700 E Joppa Rd, outside of baltimore, md.

if i don't eat here at least once a month, i lose my super powers :)
yours truly, johnny dollar

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:45 am

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:26 am

Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

As another poster

Postby modfan » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:27 am

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Re: As another poster

Postby davidk6 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:37 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Matt Deckard
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Matt Deckard » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:09 pm

I go to Bob's now and again, though I always end up getting irate with the help.

You locals will have to show me a little more of what's atomic around here.

I did enjoy going to the 101 Cafe last week with a few friends of mine, That joint was jumpin' and the music was perfect for the atmosphere.

I always liked eating at the Cafateria at JPL and Los Angeles Air Force Station, very stark and very much places where you'd expect to see Major Healy and Major Nelson walking to a table with wood motifed plastic trays... though those are Cafaterias.

Actually, come to think of it (and I'm editng here) there was (just talked to my mother) a cool spot near the LA Air Force Station called Woody's Smorgousborg. The place was built in the early 60's and had the old school fireplace with the cone coming down over the top. Apparently they recently renovated it then it went out of business, though that place was completely mod and I loved it.

Anyone else know of this place? It was on Sepulveda.
Looking for my Emma Peel.

END OF LINE.
www.mattdeckard.com

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:34 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Woody Smorgasburger

Postby modfan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:36 pm

Matt Deckard
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Matt Deckard » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:51 pm

Internationl House Of Pancakes huh? you'd think e had enough of those. That Bites... I loved Woody's.

Next time I head into the area I'll try to get some pics of the old building and post them.
Looking for my Emma Peel.

END OF LINE.

www.mattdeckard.com

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:44 am

SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:32 am

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:36 pm

I love Pann's. The service is fantastic as well.

JAB

Postby JAB » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:03 pm

Mmm... Panns! The patty melt that I had there after the 20/20/20 tour was outstanding.

deanna b
Modern Master

Re: Woody Smorgasburger

Postby deanna b » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:14 am

Return to “Roadside Rambling”