Los Angeles's last operating drive in theater(56k be warned)

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Shifty
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Los Angeles's last operating drive in theater(56k be warned)

Postby Shifty » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:43 am

Vineland drive in, City of Industry. For those that might not have heard of it, and may be interested, I gladly post this topic. Having recently discovered it myself, I've attended three times over the past few months, and really get a kick out of this ritual of roadside americana. Although I enjoy giving my business to this theater, and would reccomend others go and support, I'm happy to say that it draws quite a crowd on friday and saturday nights and doesn't appear to be in any risk of closure. Now, on to the pics!

Definitly a cool atmosphere.. those are kids on the right playing with a light-up frisbee during the previews.

These were taken during the credits. Really gives you an idea of the crowd, even on a cold night..

The ticket booths, or what I like to call "the staging lanes" 8)

the sign/marquee lacks character in my opinion, having been updated sometime in the 90's if I remember correctly.. But I'm not arguing, since no where else in the immediate areas can you go to get this experience.

2Tone
Modern Socialite

Postby 2Tone » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:35 pm

CWillman
Modern Socialite

Postby CWillman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:06 pm

It was only about two years ago that the great old behemoth of a marquee was replaced. Probably been about three years since the dilapidated main screen tower that had "VINELAND" on the back was replaced. Those losses make the place a little less special for me, but you take what L.A. drive-ins you can get.

The Vineland recently installed a new system called TechnaLight on one of its screens, for a brighter, clearer image. But the Mission in Pomona/Montclair has installed it on all four of theirs.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”