Downtown BENDIX Neon Sign Relit!

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Downtown BENDIX Neon Sign Relit!

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed May 07, 2003 7:51 pm

For those who drive the 10 past downtown all the time and don't remember the BENDIX sign, you won't be able to miss it now. Yesterday marked the relighting of the 5-6 story tall sign. If you want a closer look, it's in the fashion district at 12th and Maple. Look for the gigantic, red "B".

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun May 11, 2003 12:38 pm

One more sign relighting to report -- the Helms Bakery rooftop neon in Culver City is being readied for restoration. It's been a long time but any week now, it'll glow and blink again.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Sun May 11, 2003 1:03 pm

Norms vertical pylon on Lincoln in Santa Monica has also been restored, 6-stage animation and all.

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Tue May 13, 2003 6:12 pm

Ok, I admit, after Bekins/Sunset Palms/Arby's/Oviatt's/Oldsmobile etc., it was when I read here that "Kaiser Brothers" was being lost that I honestly said f-it, to hell with that town, and pledged never to journey west of the Mississippi again (it's bad enough I never go north of the Mason-Dixon).

But I haven't been by Norm's yet...and the Bendix, wow...and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Helms an animated incan. spectacular? Now I HAVE to come back...see you kids at the June meeting...

Eric, is MONA taking the Kaiser sign? Can they take the whole thing, or just the two heads?

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed May 14, 2003 6:47 pm

MONA is interested in the Kaiser Bros sign and its related, vertical Oldsmobile sign. However, they have yet to lift a finger to get them. They have the phone number, but haven't made a motion to get save the signs.

BTW, I checked on the Kaiser Bros neon arch and its figural heads cannot be removed form the arch without a blowtorch. Meaning, if MONA wants the heads, they'll have to take the arch with it.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu May 15, 2003 10:23 am

The vertical "OLDSMOBILE" at Kaiser is now gone.

Oldsmobile signs across the country will soon disappear now that the brand is obsolete. I'm sure there are some amazing rockets out there...

I even have a hard time finding parts for my 98!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:38 pm

Great photos of MONA's vintage neon collection at the bottom of this page.

http://www.2adults1child.com/Museum_Mad ... _page3.htm

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:34 pm

Apparently, when the LUMENS folks are done with the KRKD towers and the Palace blades (not enough money to do the marquee, it seems) to match the Los Angeles marquee and the Bendix tower, there's going to be a celebratory block party...

SpudGirl
Modern Master

Postby SpudGirl » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:37 am

Speaking of Oldsmobile, has anyone given any thought to the rocket at Albertson Oldsmobile in Culver City? I don't think they want to get rid of it, since they've had it this whole time, but since Oldsmobile will slowly dissapear, the rocket might too. But if you go right now, they have a collection of old Oldsmobiles in their showroom. They definately go hand and hand with the old rocket! ***

troyaloha
Modern Socialite

Postby troyaloha » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:20 am

Actually, yes, SpudGirl

I've had conversations with the Albertson family about the rocket. They are very nice people and historically aware. Bruce Sr's office is full of historic photos- the family started out selling Packards and switched to Oldsmobiles after World War II. They plan on keeping the rocket intact and where-is.

Mahalo-
Troy Aloha ***
"The Future is not what it used to be"

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Albertson Oldsmobile

Postby Chrisgreen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Hey, whatever happened with Albertson Olds and that rocket? I've been meaning to go over and check out the property. I hope the rocket is still there or at least in good hands.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”