Downey, Ca, NORDIC FOX, A-frame coffee shop

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Downey, Ca, NORDIC FOX, A-frame coffee shop

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:24 pm

I rarely ever go to Downey, I have my reasons, but today I managed to sneak in and try out the Nordic Fox restaurant, formerly Foxy's coffee shop. The interior was amazing as this place has such a great structure and wonderful details. Dig the zodiac chair backs, the rope-worked A-frame ceiling, the dark hardwoods, and the wall of lumber rounds. There's even twin fireplaces at either side of the wide-open dining hall. Beautiful! Let's not discuss the food in too much detail, but I will state their Lingonberry shake was delicious.

Go and enjoy:
Nordic Fox (formerly Foxy's)
10924 Paramount Boulevard
Downey, CA 90241
562-869-1414

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:51 am

I can't believe it...all the times I've driven past Johnie's Broiler and never made a quick turn up Paramount to see Foxy's. It's stunning. And besides its obvious architectural charms (check out the shellac'd 1972 magazine article about the establishment near the restrooms) the food is fantastic. I haven't had enough Swedish meatballs in my time to compare theirs with many, but theirs were quite tasty, and the vinegar barbeque beans, crazy pickles, and yellow pea soup were outstanding. One of the few restaurants that doesn't oversalt their food.

But enough about food...go to the Nordic Fox and give them your patronage. The folks that run the place only lease, and the owner is giving thought to a Mexican restaurant...which is less likely to happen if you take your dollars to the Fox (and its fascinating Nordic-themed gift shoppe).

Besides, at Paramount and Firestone you can (for now) see an awesome 76 station with both its ball AND original peaked-roof, red tile architecture--and across from the NF is the listed 1911 Rives Mansion, three stories of Colonial grandeur. It was on the market recently, and word is the first 200 callers all asked the same thing -- can we tear it down? And the answer was no. So hopefully the new owners aren't going to pull a Johnie's Broiler on the place (the ol deferred maintenance=demolition bait n switch).

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:55 pm

Sorry to report a rumor, but it appears the Nordic Fox is slated for closure.

I was told the owner of the building wants the Nordic Fox out of the A-frame space in order to convert it into a sports bar.

The closure could be as soon as this month (Nov 07).

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:47 am

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:01 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:44 pm

(lapl)
Foxy's, Glendale

Return to “Roadside Rambling”