Giant things on Route 66 (photos)

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
modmonilu
Modern Fan

Giant things on Route 66 (photos)

Postby modmonilu » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:13 pm

For all you lovers of giant-sized roadside attractions, here are a couple of photos from my day trip down Oklahoma's Route 66 yesterday.

The Blue Whale in Catoosa, OK ( I actually swam here as a kid.. you could slide down the fins and dive off the tail, but swimming is no longer allowed, as the original keepers have long since quit running the 'swimmin' hole'. Thankfully, it's still open to photographers, sightseers, etc.)

The World's Tallest Totem Pole.. errr.. make that 'The World's Tallest Concrete Totem Pole'. At 90 feet tall, it's still pretty impressive! About 4 miles off Route 66 (on 28A) in Foyil, OK. There are several other totems/ folk art pieces here, as well as a nifty little stand called the 'Fiddle Shop', which was built with the same totem theme.

I hope to get the chance to cover more of Route 66 soon, but next time I'll head west. Maybe find some nice googie signs..

Monica

Kimba
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimba » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:47 pm

OOOOooooooo! I love everything on Route 66! I'm looking forward to more pictures! Thank you!!!!
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

modmonilu
Modern Fan

Postby modmonilu » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:58 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:33 am

I understand Bono's giant orange in Fontana, CA is about to be restored and reopened...
http://route66.itgo.com/newsletter/pg15.html

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:41 pm

I love that big roadside stuff! Route 66 is so fascinating to me. I realy hope they get that Big Orange open again in Fontana. I also wish Tulsa the best with their investment into Route 66.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”