Are the KFC signs worthy of Roadside Architecture status?

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Are the KFC signs worthy of Roadside Architecture status?

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:32 pm

With the threat to the glorious 76 balls, I happened to notice the KFC buckets around town:

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/Miscell ... 20Sign.htm

Hopefully, some of these will linger.

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:02 am

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=949

There's also one in West LA you can see from the 10east...

I think somebody needs to write a group landmark nomination!

That bucket over by Jumbo's is one of my favorite objet d'art in LA...I wonder if Bill Griffith has done a Zippy cartoon about the bucket.

Check out this amazing globe -- http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-KFC-Kentuck ... dZViewItem

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:22 am

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:53 pm

There is one by me, on the SouthWest corner of LaBrea and Rodeo Road.

roadsidepictures

Postby roadsidepictures » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:51 pm

Here's a bucket I spotted in Provo, Utah, a few years back. It's a later version, but better than the "KFC" bucket.

Here are a couple of souvenirs I found years ago:

On a recent trip for chicken, I noticed that "Kentucky Fried Chicken" was spelled out on the bag and in the exact font they used prior to the 1980's!

roadsidepictures

Postby roadsidepictures » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:59 pm

Here are a few links to more bucket signs:

roadsidepictures

Postby roadsidepictures » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:52 pm

Here's an early Kentucky Fried Chicken postcard...

roadsidepictures

Postby roadsidepictures » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:07 pm

Here's a great old commercial from 1970. Check out the building and sign at the end!

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:21 pm

That's it! No more cooking for me!!!!!!!!!!! :h: :cheers:
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:00 am

Holy seven herbs and spices! That is the greatest thing I've ever seen. I watched it about ten times and now I'll be singing "if you're on the run...and you're feeling kinda shook" all day.

I'm going to immediately grow sideburns and get me a wife who'll go out and buy a hose for some reason. Maybe to give enemas to our snowy-white twins? Then I'll buy a wood-veneer'd wonderland and some yellow china and a 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser and of course get one of those sheepdogs, and then I'll rip out the kitchen, because, of course, we'll never cook again.

Ok, I'm a little OT here. We're talking about signs.

Still a couple of these around, one near Sunset Junction and one on Echo Park Avenue...some day these signs will disappear and I...I don't know what I'll do. I love them, in part because Pioneer Pete reminds me of our buddy Nichols. And what's up with the broken spokes? Where did his other leg go? And what does the red bandana signify? Top? Water sports?

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:28 am

Blood Sports?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:41 am

Pioneer Pete...
red with black stripe.... worn on right.. let me see here...
Get my glasses....
Let's see... that translates to "Likes bears"
I don't know what you call that number with the sunglasses and floppy hat behind him.

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:55 am

Nix, that is the funniest durn post that ever was!

Likes bears, huh. I'm sure that's something innocuous about goin' to Yellowstone. I'd ask my buddies down at Cuffs, but it's been gentrified into a brewhouse.

I've changed my mind about the KFC house. I want a house (and wife) what'll do something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYEUwCoidIc&NR

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:01 pm

(gee thanks)

WOW
Sugar baby, indeed.
But, beware the "Soupy road to romance"
(I'll get right on that, Nathan)

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Alive and well in Woodburn, Oregon :D
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:51 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061114/ap_ ... s/kfc_logo

"Eventually this will make its way to every restaurant," Dedrick said. "Any new stores we build or any remodels that we make from here on out will include the new Colonel."

The word remodel coupled with the deictic every restaurant makes me uneasy.

Don't get me wrong, the article above seems to point to a "retro-izing" of KFC, which I grudgingly appreciate, but the remaining historic signage...is one of the very, very few reasons for my not packing up and moving to http://www.sark.gov.gg/ ... no crime, no cars, no taxes, and no democracy. Basically heaven. But I'd forgo it all for a vintage Col. Sanders bucket in the night sky.

So we've got three remaining 60s-era chicken buckets, is that what I've ascertained?
These may be as endangered as the now (as I count them) five remaining 76 balls...I'm itching for a nomination...

Return to “Roadside Rambling”