Trip to Maui

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kimba
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Trip to Maui

Postby Kimba » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:25 pm

My husband and I are going to MAUI next month! We've never been to any of the Hawaiian islands and are thrilled!

Please direct us to anthing MCM or tiki over there that we won't want to miss! :D
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:19 am

I am envious!! I have not been to Maui, but I have been to Oahu. Loved it! Whether or not you specifically find any MCM or Tiki, you'll most likely love Hawaii. Just don't get in a hurry for anything, because you will be the only one. The phrase "hang loose" has real meaning there!

I can't speak for Maui, but I did not see loads of commercial MCM on Oahu, but saw a few good examples of residential MCM and Tiki.

Anyway, I found myself much more captivated by Hawaii than I expected. I am jonesing to go back! Enjoy your trip!!

Carlos Araujo
Modern Socialite

Postby Carlos Araujo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:39 pm

Been to Maui in May 2005. For MCM I strongly recommend the Napili Kai. Built in the 1960's, it's a nicely done authentically retro small scale polynesian resort mixed with touches of japanese such as shogi screens. My first view of the beach after dark from the lobby is unforgettable. Their best rooms for style and comfort are the original facing pool and beachfront.

My wife, kid, and me did the typical tourist stuff and greatly enjoyed it: luau, snorkeling, aquarium, Paia, Lahaina, sunrise atop the mountain, Maui Downhill, rainforest hikes, submarine ride. While I planned much of it, my favorites were the unscripted surprises such as the nearly naked bearded old hippie local running through a meadow near the Seven Pools or getting caught in the rain in the pineapple winery. The only thing I would have done differently is the tour van to Hana was a rattlebox and the loudspeaker just sounded likes lots of garbled noise for 12 hours. For bargains I recommend the open market for fresh fruit, local crafts and Hawaiian shirts and the chain drug store for chocolate covered macadamia nuts and other souveneers both off the main highway in Lahaina.

Send me a message if you would like more info.
"Todos vuelven a la tierra en que nacieron" Ruben Blades

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:50 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:02 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:45 pm

The older, traditinal luau is the Old Lahania Luau.
It is located on the coast in a nice location, and occurs at approx 5 pm.

Foodies may want to do Feast at Le'le.

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:22 pm

"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:13 pm

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:20 pm

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby tikiyaki » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:47 pm

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:26 pm

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby tikiyaki » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:36 pm

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:53 pm

I have now sat through two presentations, although I was only paying attention at the later. The basic premise is that the cost of travel will increase at approx 7% every year.

For 2006, the hotel cost on Oahu actually decreased slightly, so it is not necessarily accurate.

Also, I am not sure how it works to travel during the high demand season - over New Years for example.

However, after just 15 years it would be paid off, and what a positon to be in.

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Thank you for confirming the fact that we don't want a timeshare!

Actually, my DH is interested in opening a business there. He's still looking into the possibility. We're not short on offers from people to manage it for us! LOL!

:cheers:

Return to “Roadside Rambling”