San Diego Modern Bars?

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
KatiePickle
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

San Diego Modern Bars?

Postby KatiePickle » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:11 pm

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:20 pm

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:21 pm

I don’t know the answer to the Holiday Inn question, but if you just want to take in the view, it’s hard to beat the top of the Hyatt.
(You have to factor in that I’m a terrible photographer.) Another nice view is from Cabrillo National Monument, looking back the other way.

There is a bar/restaurant downtown called Mr Tiki:
http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/cohn/coh ... mrtiki.php
I’ve never been there so I can’t vouch for it. However the same group owns Island Prime, which we dined at recently, and was very good:
http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/cohn/coh ... dprime.php
Island Prime is on Harbor Island, which would be hard to get too without a car. (Coronado Island, Harbor Island, and Shelter Island – all in San Diego – not one of them an actual island.) There s also the Corvette Diner in the Hillcrest area – also owned by the same group. We used to go there all the time when the kids were young, and I tried it again recently and it wasn’t bad. (Try the fried pickles, KatiePickle!)
http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/cohn/coh ... rvette.php

Hopefully, sdmod, Pacifica modern, and/or Chimay will check in on this thread too.

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby L.A.kevin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:19 pm

Is the Hanelei Hotel still any good? They used to have a bitchin' tiki/exotica bar. Also, there is a good steak house across the I-8 that I can't remember the name of. So much for memory.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:50 pm

I've been to Mr. Tiki's Mai-Tai Lounge and wholeheartedly vouch for it.

The cuisine is excellent and so is the decor.

I also love the Mango tiki drink.

Their desert tree is also a thing of beauty.

Located in the old Fio's venue.

sky

Postby sky » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:51 pm

I haven’t been to the Hanalei in a long time, LAK, but still that’s in Mission Valley – not really a good area for bar-hopping. The only steakhouses I remember near the Hanalei are the Hungry Hunter, and Bully’s on the other side of I-8.

Mission Valley has been taken over by the malls. At least in areas like the Gaslamp (downtown), Hillcrest, Old Town, and La Jolla, a tourist can explore and bar hop on foot.

I’m not sure if when ChrisLAX (howdy LAX - we just posted at the same time) said to take the train, if that meant Amtrak, or the trolley. Mission Valley is a good place to catch the trolley to go Downtown or Old Town, though.
Last edited by sky on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:51 pm

KatiePickle
Modern Groupie

Postby KatiePickle » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:57 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:16 pm

I had a great meal at Bali Hai when Say Choy was running the place and it's certainly worth the drive to support such a legendary tiki establishment. PLUS it's the only place to get the exciting Mr. Bali Hai mug!
http://www.balihairestaurant.com/mrbalihai.htm

sky

Postby sky » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:41 pm

Hey KatiePickle. I’m sorry I responded to your first post thinking you were a tourist. I didn’t notice your location until now. And also if I had seen that was your first post, I would have welcomed you to the board. I hope it’s not too late. Welcome, KatiePickle!

Great looking mug, Chris.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:53 pm

What about Mr. A's downtown?

Excellent view of the planes landing at Leinberg.

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:35 am

In addition to those already mentioned, there are a many other modern bars in San Diego that you may want to try. I've lost track of them all, since we now have a baby and can't go out to play as much. Most of the hotels in the East Village and Gaslamp area around the ballpark all have modern bars. Here are a few others that I can think of:

Downtown:
Stingaree (on 6th in the Gaslamp)
Looks like the set from the TV Show "Laugh In". Expect Rowan & Martin to seat you at your booth. Rooftop bar and lots of GoGo dancers and the like.

Chive (on 4th in the Gaslamp)
Small restaurant and bar with a very subdued, Dwell-style modern aesthetic.

W Hotel lobby bar and rooftop bar called "The Beach" (B and Columbia)
This is where a lot of hip celebrities crash in San Diego, and you never know who you'll see. The building's very conservative exterior is at odds with its modern interior. Nonetheless, a cool place to hang out and it's away from the chaos that is the Gaslamp district (a huge plus on most weekend nights).

Pacific Beach:
JRDN at Tower 23 (on the boardwalk)
I really want to like this place, but the very, very high prices and the sometimes snobish service set me off a bit. This place really, really wishes it were on Sunset Blvd., or perhaps in SoHo. You're probably not nearly cool enough to be here. As is the case with places like this, service can be disappointing. That said, I'm happy to have someplace modern like this in my neighborhood.

If you're looking for something a bit more "retro hipster" off the beaten path, there are a few of those, too:

Golden Hill:
Turf Supper Club (1116 25th St.)
Recently restored to its mid-century glory. Go for a martini or three, but if you're hungry they have great "cook-it-yourself" steaks that you prepare on your own hibachi grill.

Bankers Hill:
NuNu's (3537 Fifth Ave.)
Very much a retro dive bar that comes alive with hipster types on weekend nights. You order food through a hole in the wall...

Kensington:
Kensington Club (4079 Adams Ave.)
A bit of a dive bar, but on weekend nights it's full of swing dancing and the like.

North Park:
Red Fox Lounge (2223 El Cajon Blvd. )
An original, rat-pack era piano bar

Tiki Bars:
I wouldn't recommend Mr. Tiki's anymore. We used to go there a lot, but have been disappointed the last two times we went. Drinks weren't as good, and the PuPu Platters have been seriously scaled back to cut costs. Not nearly as good, and the variety was lacking...

Bali Hai is definitely a drinks-only kinda place now. The food is awful.

The Hanalei Hotel used to be a tiki mecca, but it's been so watered down over successive "renovations" that there's not much left to look at. There is still a decent tiki bar there.

Otherwise, try the bar at Catamaran hotel, which still does a nice Polynesian Luau on the beach at Mission Bay, and has a lot of nice tikis.

Have fun and Cheers!
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Return to “Roadside Rambling”