Teen Island theme park?

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

bricology
Modern Groupie

Teen Island theme park?

Postby bricology » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:25 pm

I just found something rather odd that I wanted to ask for help identifying. It's a large printed artist's conception/rendering of a Disneyland-esque theme park. I reckon it to be from about 1960. When I first saw it, I thought "that must be Walt Disney World", since it had water around it (rather than orchards or warehouses). But the only signage I could find was a sign at what must be one of the entrances to the park, which proclaims "Teen Island". It's got everything a theme park needs -- a monorail, aerial gondolas, a tiki compound, swanky pavilions, etc. There may be a submarine ride in there somewhere; I haven't found it yet, tho'.

Any ideas?

bricology
Modern Groupie

Postby bricology » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:37 pm

<crickets>

Nobody has any ideas?

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby Chris Merritt » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:07 am

Fascinating! I've never heard of this...

What else can you tell us about where you picked this up?

bricology
Modern Groupie

Postby bricology » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:24 am

I got it at an estate sale in the St. Francis Woods neighborhood of San Francisco. A large 1950s house, but otherwise a pretty unremarkable estate, although this certainly caught my eye. Getting it home on the back of my old Vespa was a challenge, let me tell you! (it's larger than 2'x4') SF can get pretty breezy, and it acted like a sail, pushing me all over the road.

Well, since I've been unable to find anything out about it, I've put it up on eBay. We'll see what happens there.

Cheers --

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:41 pm

what about it being a rendering for the long beach disneyland?
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:02 pm

Could this be a bay area theme park? Something on the bay itself or maybe it is an early Sea Worldish concept for Mission Bay in San Diego.
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

bricology
Modern Groupie

Postby bricology » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Futura Girl wrote:what about it being a rendering for the long beach disneyland?

I don't know anything about a Long Beach Disneyland, but this print is about 40 years old, so it probably predates any plan like that.

bricology
Modern Groupie

Postby bricology » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:21 pm

scottkaycee wrote:Could this be a bay area theme park? Something on the bay itself or maybe it is an early Sea Worldish concept for Mission Bay in San Diego.

Given our climate (and especially the temperature of water in the Bay), I don't think that anyone would propose building a theme park with waterskiing here. San Diego's a possibility, tho'... Do you know anything about any such proposal?

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:04 am

In my eye, Fiesta Island, San Diego, seems a likely match, and location for a theme park. at least in the 1960s.

Heck, even the nearby Seaworld could be what has become of Teen Island.
New York - Leeds- Los Angeles - San Francisco - Toronto
Wherever Google Earth takes me.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:53 pm

is there a date on it anywhere?
i am just curious as to why it is dated 1960s?
did the estate owners verify its age?

here's the link to the ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-early-1960s-Th ... dZViewItem
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:47 pm

The off-the-shelf rides and architecture is extremely similar to Magic Mountain when it first opened in 1971, so I'd say that if it's 1960s, it's late '60s, probably 1968 or later, possibly by the same designer.

You could post the question at http://www.micechat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29, http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11 or http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-S-47.asp, or any of a dozen other theme park-related boards.

Modern Motoring
Modern Fan

Postby Modern Motoring » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:59 pm

I would bet that it's a concept drawing for Cal-Expo up here in Sacramento. The white group of buildings with the four open towers look exactly like that, also the water area around that same group is the same at the real Cal-Expo.. bridge ways, ramps.. The big exhibit halls look just like that, the monorail loops around the grouped buildings, the entry gate is exactly the same.

I talked to a guy once who was about 15 years older than me who said that he remembers some talk that it was to be a theme park and that he was all excited as a kid, a Disneyland for Northern California. He also said he was disapointed that it turned out to be just the state fair grounds when it opened.

I wish I saw this posting earlier.. I would have bought that drawing in a heartbeat and given you alot better money than it fetched on E-bay!

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:27 pm

Modern Motoring wrote:I would bet that it's a concept drawing for Cal-Expo up here in Sacramento. The white group of buildings with the four open towers look exactly like that, also the water area around that same group is the same at the real Cal-Expo.. bridge ways, ramps.. The big exhibit halls look just like that, the monorail loops around the grouped buildings, the entry gate is exactly the same.

I talked to a guy once who was about 15 years older than me who said that he remembers some talk that it was to be a theme park and that he was all excited as a kid, a Disneyland for Northern California. He also said he was disapointed that it turned out to be just the state fair grounds when it opened.

I wish I saw this posting earlier.. I would have bought that drawing in a heartbeat and given you alot better money than it fetched on E-bay!

You nailed it!!! I just pulled up Cal Expo on Google Earth, and one glance wiped away all doubt. It is indeed the Cal Expo site. Thanks for posting this, as I was really curious.

Take a look:

http://usera.imagecave.com/Dustyman73/cal_expo.jpg

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:27 pm

Modern Motoring wrote:I would bet that it's a concept drawing for Cal-Expo up here in Sacramento. The white group of buildings with the four open towers look exactly like that, also the water area around that same group is the same at the real Cal-Expo.. bridge ways, ramps.. The big exhibit halls look just like that, the monorail loops around the grouped buildings, the entry gate is exactly the same.

I think you're right. Everything you mentioned looks exactly the same to me. You can also see the "loop" of road that is on the top of the picture matches with the main entrance to the fairgrounds. Part of the water features (immediately to the right of the white cluster of buildings) and the round fountain are also there.

Google Map: HERE

They sure would've had to do a lot of dredging to bring the water that far in from the river!
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:53 pm

Perks wrote:They sure would've had to do a lot of dredging to bring the water that far in from the river!

it looks like they planned on turning that swampy land just south of the lot into something glamorous...

well, mystery solved.
hopefully the buyer knew what a treasure they were getting.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”