Julius Shulman > LA Weekly profile

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Julius Shulman > LA Weekly profile

Postby nichols » Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 pm

LA WEEKLY
Julius Shulman
Modernism's witness
By JILL STEWART
Wednesday, May 9, 2007 - 12:00 pm
Julius Shulman, the great-grandfather of American architectural photography, has been at the top of his craft for so long that, when asked his earliest memory of photographing great architecture, he can’t decide: construction of the Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal in the 1930s — or wait! — what about when they filled Boulder Dam with water?..

http://www.laweekly.com/la-people-2007/ ... man/16320/

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Fri May 11, 2007 3:09 am

Speaking of the enduring Mr. Shulman, does anyone know the status of his archive at the Getty? I keep hoping for the appearance of some kind of online presence of some of his images but so far have not found one. It would be so great if they were to at least get the catalog online so researchers would have an idea of what actually exists.

Anyone know of their plans?

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Re: Julius Shulman > LA Weekly profile

Postby davidk6 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:55 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

ablecksm
Modern Groupie

Postby ablecksm » Sat May 12, 2007 5:41 pm

My name is Anne Blecksmith, and I am a reference librarian for special collections at the Getty Research Institute. As a former Modcom member, I would like to reply to some of the questions concerning the Julius Shulman Photography Archive that have recently been posted.

Hi Craig,

Although it was acquired in 2004, the Julius Shulman Photography Archive is still in the process of being archivally re-housed, organized and cataloged due to its massive size. At present, images from the Shulman Archive are being digitized on a request-driven basis. As you may already be aware, Julius Shulman does not own a computer; thus, very few digital images came with the archive. So far, about 4,000 images have been digitized, and the Research Library at the Getty Research Institute is exploring options to make these images accessible online.

However, a draft Finding Aid (or archive inventory) is currently available online for the first three series of the Julius Shulman Photography Archive. This draft inventory constitutes about one-third of the archive and is a work-in-progress.

The link is available online at:

http://www.getty.edu/research/conductin ... llections/

To access the Finding Aid, click on "Selected Special Collections Finding Aids" and then on "S." Simply scroll down to find the link to the Shulman archive.

Also, the library has a Julius Shulman resources page at:
http://www.getty.edu/research/conductin ... ulman.html

Hi Dave,

I believe Shulman's birthday is 10/10/10.

Yes, the Getty Research Institute acquired the archive in 2004. Most of the archive has been transferred to the library; however, Mr. Shulman asked that some items be transferred at a later date for various reasons. (I believe this is what the LA Weekly article was referring to.)

For more information about the acquisition, I encourage you to visit the 2005 press release available online at:

http://www.getty.edu/news/press/center/shulman.html

In my role as the reference librarian for the Julius Shulman photography archive, I can say that hundreds of scholars, preservationists, and owners of mid-century modern properties have visited the Research Library to consult the Shulman archive. Additionally, thousands of images have been requested for inclusion in publications based all over the world. New queries arrive daily.

As of this writing, the Julius Shulman photography archive is the library's most heavily-used collection.

I hope this forum finds this to be very encouraging.

Anne

bammer
Modern Socialite

Postby bammer » Sun May 13, 2007 1:24 pm

ch

Postby ch » Sun May 13, 2007 2:31 pm

Anne,

Thanks for the information. I had found the Getty page on Julius Shulman but the finding aid was pretty buried within the site. It's a tantalizing glimpse into the extent of this magnificient collection. Most of us have gained our understanding of LA's unique architectural history via Mr. Shulman's images.

Please keep us posted as to the progress of the processing of this collection. It will be great to be able to access any portion of this material online.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun May 13, 2007 6:46 pm

Thanks a lot, Anne. Julius' birthday is indeed 10/10/10. I understand he still has much of his color photography up at the house and that is the basis for the new volume of "Modernism Rediscovered," due out later this year.

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:03 am

On a related topic (sort of), I'm wondering if anyone has any information about another photographer, Margaret Lowe, who did architectural photography in the 40's and 50's in Los Angeles? Did her archives end up somewhere?
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

SkipHome
Modern Master

Julius Shulman's date of birth

Postby SkipHome » Wed May 16, 2007 2:40 pm

Julius Shulman was born October 10, 1910 - I'm sure because my birthday is October 10 (not 1910!!) and I mentioned it when I met him at a photo shoot of a MCM remodeled apt house in West Hollywood.
Triple 10, very lucky...

Return to “Roadside Rambling”