Motel Nostalgia slideshow

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
19iste
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Motel Nostalgia slideshow

Postby 19iste » Tue May 22, 2007 6:16 pm

Here's a lovely slideshow about mid-century motels. Please enjoy!

The Atlantic Monthly | June 2007

Motel Nostalgia - by Wayne Curtis

A Slideshow:

http://www.theatlantic.com/slideshows/motels/

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Sat May 26, 2007 10:01 pm

Cool slideshow. I HOPE that Treasure Island will wake up and realize that they have a great collection of an American era there and somehow appreciate it. It's possible, since Miami was once not very fond of it's vast collection of Art Deco buildings, but they woke up and now those same buildings are a symbol of Miami, and a destination for folks from around the globe. Will mid century have the awakening that Art Deco did in the 80's? I sure hope so, because these vanishing treasures represent such an important part of our nation's history.

spaceman1961
Modern Fan

Thank you!

Postby spaceman1961 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:39 am

Thank you so much for the link to the slideshow! I grew up in Pinellas County (where Treasure Island is located), but I live across the bay in Tampa now. I knew the Surf had been demolished and as the narrator said, the days of the other small motels along Gulf Blvd. are sadly numbered as well. Unfortunately the property taxes for prime beachfront real estate are so astronomical that it is forcing the mom and pops out of the area, and the wonderful architecture bulldozed in the name of "progress". (Anybody remember Robby's Pancake House, located just south of the Satellite Motel? They were forced to convert to "upscale dining" in an attempt to keep up with the taxes.) Soon only those with the means to purchase or rent "luxury high rise condos" will be able to enjoy the beautiful sunsets there. It really makes me wonder if people ever consider the quality and kind of life/community we are CHOOSING to create for ourselves or if everything is always termed strictly in dollars and cents...but that's a rant for another time.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”