Orlando or thereabouts Florida

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

valery
Modern Socialite

Orlando or thereabouts Florida

Postby valery » Thu May 24, 2007 7:32 am

I'm going to be in Orlando this weekend for a music festival. Will be driving down from Atlanta. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to go on the way there or in Orlando? Especially looking for good antique/vintage and thrift stores for mid-century modern finds.

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:57 pm

Did you find some cool places? I just saw this thread and am always looking for neat stops fairly close to us....

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:01 pm

I wish I could help out too, but I always fly straight in and out of Orlando. One of these days I'll have to make thre trip by road and get the real Florida, roadside experience.

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:42 am

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:24 pm

Sarasota is a great destination for Modern architecture for many reasons, not just for the architectural innovation that flowered there in 1940s through the 1960s, but also what's happening now. Though some can't understand the importance of the early work - check out the thread on Paul Rudolph's Riverview High School - others are working to preserve structures like it and ensure that new buildings continue the Modern legacy. I've been there several times.

I haven't visited Miami for the architecture, but that's on my list, as is the college campus in Lakeland that Frank Lloyd Wright designed. And I'm in Tampa/St. Petersburg fairly often.. I'd like to check out some of their Modern gems, though I'm not sure exactly where to look.

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:28 am

There's always the Modern Sarasota tour. I did it the last time I was in Florida.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... highlight=

The Wife and I stopped at several antique malls along Hwy 41 (Tamiami Trail) from Bradenton down to Port Charlotte and found lots of cool stuff. We wished we had room to bring items home. I particularly remember a cool antique mall in an old grocery store, I believe it was in Englewood.[/url]

5280mod
Modern Socialite

Postby 5280mod » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:20 pm

We will be visiting Grandma in Sarasota soon and I'm anxious to take Martie's tour.

We may also head to Winter Haven which is near Orlando. Winter Haven has more Sarasota School designs than Sarasota does!

Shannon Stanbro
720.279.4884 Cell
877.713.1110 Toll Free
www.5280mod.com

jby789
Modern Groupie

Sarasota School article in Orlando Weekly

Postby jby789 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:00 pm

Hey everybody! Nice to see so many other fans of the Sarasota School!

I wrote an article about the Modern Sarasota driving tour for our annual Fall Guide issue, which you can see here:

I got to walk through Guy Peterson's redesign of the Revere Quality House, which was a real treat. But as grand as the new big house is, I think I'd rather live in the little original ...

Jessica Bryce Young
Orlando Weekly
www.orlandoweekly.com[/url]

Return to “Roadside Rambling”