Roadside stuff from various locations around California

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dustyman73
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Roadside stuff from various locations around California

Postby Dustyman73 » Sat May 26, 2007 9:41 pm

Here are a few pics of some places we have been recently. First off, we were down in the LA area for the Planes of Fame airshow in Chino. I took the wife out to the Magic Lamp Inn on Foothill (Route 66) in Rancho Cucamonga. Neat place, food was great, atmosphere was great, and the neon sign was great. It even puffs flame out of the spout of the lamp, but it did not show up in my pic. The Magic Lamp is well worth a stop in for a dinner at a place that is unique.

Next up are a few from Solvang/Buellton from a couple of months ago. We stayed at the Best Western Pea Soup Andersens Inn. Cool Place.

Here is the motel:

Here is Pea Soup Andersens next door:

Next are a few shots from Solvang.

Last of this set is a local Fresno staple, the Chicken Pie Shop. This place is great, complete with avocado green vinyl booths and big colorful plastic chickens up on the walls. It's very clean, very friendly, and the food is quite good. If your in Fresno, you need to hit this place. The pic was taken during a car show, that's why all the cool cars are in front of it.

Here is a link to a review (not mine) of the Chicken Pie Shop on Roadfood.com.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overvie ... RefID=4037

Take a peek at the link for some good interior shots. Thanks for looking.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Ahh yes

Postby modfan » Mon May 28, 2007 4:45 pm

As a kid the Magic Lamp was THE place to go for a fancy meal.
And ya notice in the lounge area in the summer the 'fireplace' has a fountain with colored lights and in the winter it's a gas log.
And next door was Jong's Cantonese restaurant (now I think it's a Vinces Spaghetti house) was decorated (at the time) in a cool asian mod decor, family owned the match cover said 'your hosts Sue and Bob Jong' probably retired/passed away (this was a long time ago-early 60's)- I think they lived at the back of the property I think on San Bernardino Rd. Across Foothill Bl. was I think the Bear Gulch Inn-at least as good as the Magic Lamp and I think it's historic so there won't be any changes to the structure anytime soon. And Solvang-I remember it well as a kid-was into windmills so it was someplace I really liked, got home movies of us kids at the windmill (garage) at a house just outside of town. And I think there is a Chicken Pie Shop in Anaheim on La Palma Ave. dunno it's condition tho, I think there might be a comment/pic/link about it elsewhere.

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:46 pm

Thanks for your perspective on the Magic Lamp and it's surroundings, Modfan. The place next door is Vince's Spaghetti. The Bear Gulch Inn is now the Sycamore Inn, I believe. Here is a link, maybe you can verify if this is the place:

http://www.thesycamoreinn.com/history.html

Looks like a possible dinner destination for next trip to that area (besides, I can only go to Pomona Valley Mining Co. so often, as my cow intake needs to be regulated :D ).

I have heard of the Chicken Pie Shop in Anaheim and I think there is also one in San Diego. More places to stop in at!

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

You're correct

Postby modfan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:30 am

It's the Sycamore Inn at Bear Gulch I think.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”