Hot Dog Show

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hot Dog Show

Postby nichols » Tue May 29, 2007 2:53 pm

http://hotdogspot.com/2004/05/papoos-ho ... s-are.html

This just in: Papoo's Hot Dog Show is painting out it's distinctive red and white color scheme with...beige!

PAPOO'S HOT DOG SHOW
4300 Riverside Dr, Toluca Lake

The Ontario, CA Hot Dog Show in 1950 (via Charles Phoenix)
http://charlesphoenix.com/2004-06-24/?P ... 7d649a4fea

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue May 29, 2007 5:16 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:25 pm

Hey, that's the place right across from the Big Boy. Cool looking joint...and very well might get some business from me next time I'm in the area.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:28 pm

I've eaten at Papoo's a couple of times now, and I like the place. I think it's definitely worth the stop.

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:27 pm

I hate to say this but I ate at Papoo's once and I thought it truly stunk. Sorry. :oops:

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:20 am

drove by this weekend and saw the new paintjob... regardless of how you like or don't like the food - the beige color (instead of original red) is what really stunk.

Monstergrl
Modern Fan

Jully 14,2007

Postby Monstergrl » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:42 am

On Saturday went to the Big Boy and Papoos and the paint job was the exact same as before with the red and white. Maybe they had complaints or something??? I dont know...

I got my film back...here are my pictures:

Last edited by Monstergrl on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:56 pm

According to the signbuilder I talked with last nite, public outcry convinced them to go back to the red after painting the whole thing beige. NOW, it's our chance to keep this sign intact. The sign painter desperately needs an image of the winged hot dog from before the mid-80s when it became as rusted out as it is today... ANYBODY out there have a photo?

Monstergrl
Modern Fan

Postby Monstergrl » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:50 am

um...I found this site that has a screen cap of Papoos (then named The Hot Dog Show"....

http://www.quartzcity.net/category/los-angeles/

It's from Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) and it shows the counter...Ive never seen the movie but maybe it shows the whole building or the sign ???

Here is the contact Information for the Burbank Historical Society:

City of Burbank: History
http://www.burbankca.org/planning/history/

Telephone: (818) 841-6333

1015 West Olive Ave., Burbank, CA 91506

On the web site they have a picture of the Bob's Big Boy on San Fernando Rd...maybe they have pictures/or access to pictures they have yet to put up?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:05 pm

Emailed them a detail of the dog up front via Mr. Charles Phoenix:

I'll try Burbank Historical. I don't have the software to take good frame grabs from DVDs... SKY? Are you out there?

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:52 pm

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:01 am

I've been staying in touch with Papoo's owner, discussing various sign designs based on her thoughts and ideas. In the meantime, the sign has temporarily been primered (as you can see in Eric's photo).

If you're at Bob's on Friday nights and it's crowded, stop in at Papoo's -- they've been at that intersection as long as Bob's, have a great grill, and are constantly adding new BREAKFAST, LUNCH & DINNER items to their menu!

Buddies Lounge
Modern Socialite

Postby Buddies Lounge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:19 am

removed
Last edited by Buddies Lounge on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Looks great!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 pm

does the fact that the dog is an angel with a harp suggest that the dead pig or cow has come back from heaven to grace us with food???

although i love the hot dog angel - does anyone know of its roots?

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Well, there's that animated movie "All Dogs Go To Heaven." Does anyone know if the title is taken from a common saying? Whomever designed the angel hot dog might have been thinking of that...

Return to “Roadside Rambling”