Satelliite Shopland in Anaheim

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Satelliite Shopland in Anaheim

Postby nichols » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:18 pm

I was in the neighborhood and needed wrapping paper so I dropped in to Satellite Shopland on Saturday. Wow! I forgot how olde tyme the interior is. Filthy and ancient and great. This is, of course, where the spinning satellite at the American Sign Museum came from.
(Now in Ohio)
ImageImage

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:08 pm

Signs stand up, say it loud:
Chicago Sun-Times, Apr 16, 2006 by Dave Hoekstra

...The garden is anchored by a Sputnik-era faux satellite from "The Satellite Shopland" mall near Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. The revolving sign is a prime example of early 1960s Googie architecture. A dozen spikes fire up from the base and each one is defined by a colored light. The owner of the strip mall built the sign in his garage.

"It is a piece of folk art," Swormstedt said. "It wasn't made by a sign company because it is too crazy and would have been too expensive to make. In the 1990s, Disney wanted to clean up the environment in the area. There were a bunch of old funky motels and nice funky motel signs. So they leveled everything and 'Satellite Shopland' was one of the signs that came down. They put up a plastic 'Satellite Shopland' sign in its place and in the corner of the new sign, they did include a picture of the original sign, which is a neat story."...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... _n16165920

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:11 pm

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:48 pm

Well, Disney sure ain't the same!! Walt would be quite peeved to know that the current management at Disney would request that the area surrounding Disneyland be turned into Blandville. Why not just go ahead and make Disneyland itself a bunch of stucco boxes? That will make it look "good", right? Sheez....

I'm pretty sure Mr. Disney would have preferred the swoopy neon and imaginative shapes of the old stuff surrounding Disneyland. What is it with planning commisions these days that want everything to be as dull as a graveyard?

Anyway, glad the shopping center at least was able to paste the satellite image onto the mandated graveyard style monument sign.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:24 pm

We call this the beiging of America!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:01 pm

What is it with planning commisions these days that want everything to be as dull as a graveyard? >>

What I don't understand is why must every vacation spot (and small city and small town in between) look just like where I live? With all the same restaurants, the same stores and the same architecture, what's the point of me leaving home?

I travel because I want to see what I can't see in my own backyard. I don't travel to shop at Staples, Walmart, Office Max or eat at only chain restaurants.

Wake up planning commissions!
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

Astatic
Modern Groupie

Postby Astatic » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:51 am

FinFan
Modern Socialite

Postby FinFan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:50 am

It's said, that travelling people do not want to be surprised or take any risk, and they find it comfortable to se standarized restaurants where they can eat the same things they know so well from their hometown, and shop in stores organized in the same way, where everything can be found in the same places.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”