buildings I consider modern in my hometown-Poznan,Poland,EU

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
FinFan
Modern Socialite

buildings I consider modern in my hometown-Poznan,Poland,EU

Postby FinFan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:35 am

1)Former General Department Store- one example of the chain of stores that in the communistic times were the only organisation allowed to sell goods. Our own interpretations of Western markets, where you could get anything from shoes to furniture (if it wasn't time of economy crisis of course).

Built:1949-1954
Architect:Mark Leykam
Opened 29.I.1955
Planned as 10-story building, was realised as 8 story, becouse of the slopping ground. In the 1970's, 9th was added.

Presently is mainly abandoned - on the ground floor there are little restaurants and travel offices, on the top two there is a discotheque.Rest unused.

2)One store from the chain specific to our province, building of "Domar" mall.Chain was formed in 1991 from the former public property.Then, the building is older than the store that occupies it Don't know much about it, except for the fact, that the top 4 floors were supported by pillars at the ground level, and there were shop windows behind them. This overhang was then filled, and there's now McDonald's.

3)Building with stepping facade.Private flats inside.

4)Another building for private living, with non-symmetrical balcony and interesting beams at the top floor. Painted peach in the late 1990's, was white/cream before (too dirty to tell exact shade).

5)Elementary school. Built: pre-1966. There were large celebrations of 1000 years of Poland in 1966, and to commemorate this, there was an action "1000 schools for 1000 years of country" running before this date.

Recently painted in brigh colours was pale pink/grey/brick red.
Interesting see-thru section of the front overhang.Part of the balcony on the left side of building visible,close up included as last of this series of images:

Vertical narrow windows on the side of the entrance

Vertical windows are repeated along the side of the building. Originally, there were brick casetons under the bigger windows, those are covered
now, as the school received heat insulation.

See-thru detail of the balcony on the top floor of left side of the school.Never been there in my school years, nor I have ever seen anyone there.

Adam Mickiewicz University Collegium Novum

Entrance to the "New Zoo"

A bar "White Bear" inside the zoo. Covered with both ribbed and flat aluminium panels. Still operating, but completely without any care for both building and it's interior,with faded plastic CocaCola advertisment tacked above entrance.

Ceiling detail

Hotel "Merkury" - unfortunately went a major modernisation. The windows were made narrower (YES, narrower - were wider than now), stone-and-concrete covering was replaced with bright polished tiles, the name was changed from Polish "Merkury" to more international "Mercure" (both are local language variations on Mercury of course). The building is bent non-symmetrically, and there's long roof on canted pillars above the entrance. This roof is the part of the building I like best, becouse complete hotel isn't much exciting architectural achievment, both in original, and current state.Haven't made my own pictures, as the batteries were low in my camera, here's a pic from the web http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafika:Me ... 84_RB1.JPG

mod cats
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mod cats » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:25 pm

Neat pictures. I really like the entrance to the zoo. What part of the country is Poznan located in? I've been to Warsaw and Krakow.

FinFan
Modern Socialite

Postby FinFan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:03 am

Glad someone likes anything in this thread, lost hope that I've chosen the right buildings to show off on this forum :cry:

Poznan is on the west, around 300 kilometers west from Warsaw.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”