"Chez Le roi" (Thanet way Reculver North Kent UK)

A place to catalog, review, and discuss specific Mid Century Modern locations across the world, both past and present.

Moderators: Joe, moderns-r-us, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Rhizomatic
Modern Groupie

"Chez Le roi" (Thanet way Reculver North Kent UK)

Postby Rhizomatic » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:09 am

Name: "Chez Le Roi"
Architect: unknown (Very Lubetkin stylie)Art Moderne
Year: Unsure believe it was post war :possibly 1948

Street: A299 (The Thanet Way)
City: Near Canterbury (Closest reference :Reculver)
State: Kent
Zip:

Phone-

This was a wonderful moderne building which looked like the coning tower of a submarine. In autumn the area is prone to weird mists and the building would loom in front of you emerging from the eerie mists ..it just looked like it had landed from space. It was demolished a couple of years ago and I greatly miss it. A telephone repair man who was repairing my phone claimed that the owner had knocked it down on discovering the tenant was having an affair with his wife! But I suspect this might be fantasy! I never got into the building but people I worked with over the years told me that it was a night club and it was a really glamorous venue in its heyday with a cracking sprung dance floor ...how nice it would have been whirl to the boards...
Regards
Si
Last edited by Rhizomatic on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Return to “FAVORITE BUILDINGS (and signs)”