Googie Question RESOLVED: Orange Julius

A place to catalog, review, and discuss specific Mid Century Modern locations across the world, both past and present.

Moderators: Joe, moderns-r-us, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Gnomus
Modern Master

Googie Question RESOLVED: Orange Julius

Postby Gnomus » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:34 pm

In just the past few weeks I've happened upon and photographed three identical Googie restaurants. Does anyone know the story behind them? Was this a chain that got sold off?

The first is a closed shop at 6341 Woodman in Van Nuys.
Taqueria los Felix sits next to the South Gate Car Wash on Firestone in South Gate.
LA Burger is at 6001 W Pico Blvd in LA.
Last edited by Gnomus on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Weren't those originally Orange Julius stands?

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:47 pm

I was just reading in Googie Redux about a former Orange Julius that "The zigzagging folded plate roof is instantly identifiable in this common chain design." So you may be right. I found a photo online of what the building looks like now and it's not an exact match of these, but it's very close.

By the way, I found another folded plate roof building yesterday on Woodman in Arleta -- Tip Top Hamburgers.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:12 pm

And where or where are the Orange Julius stores? I loved Orange Julius. I guess I'm just too old. You should see the blank looks I get when asking for a Coke Freeze and of all places a Tastee Freeze. I mean I think they invented them.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 am

They were bought out by Dairy Queen. The DQ website has a locator that you can specify and see Orange Julius locations. The closest one to me is in the Fox Hills Mall, Culver City.

I checked out their history timeline, which features a number of old photographs, but none of the stands match these. Strange, when Alan Hess says the folded plate roofline was a staple of the brand. Maybe the photos are more from the pre-50s...

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks, I figured that out myself as soon as I posted here. It seems they are all in malls now here in so cal. Note to Dairy queen: make Orange Julius available in all you locations. I for one would go for that over the Coke Freeze if available.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:53 am

I checked a 1965 street directory on the LA public library's website, and indeed, 6001 Pico Blvd and 3900 Firestone were Orange Julius stands.

Gold star to Deanna!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:26 am

yup. these are orange julius stands. i grew up quite close to the one on woodman and ventura. until quite recently (with the new owners) there were ORANGE PRINT concrete built in tables out front. they had classic metal umbrellas as well. i don't know if they retained those tables or not?

speaking of which. i know that alton brown featured an OJ recipe, but it was not the copyrighted authentic one complete with both powdered milk and powdered egg whites.

anyone have the REAL recipe?
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:44 am

I'd love to have their recipe! We used to go to the location inside the Boulevard Mall (in Las Vegas).

Here's an old location in Las Vegas (not nearly as fancy as the older locations in CA):

Built in 1967

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:58 am

Great topic. Orange Julius was founded in Los Angeles and I thought I had a few items to share, but can't put my finger on them.

The restaurant design show currently up at UCSB features a couple pieces from Orange Julius, including this photo of Maynard Lyndon's 1964 design that seems to be the prototype for the folded plate roof designs shown above.
and apparently this design won a special award
according to Flickr poster plasticfootball, who posts
"This classy little stand won a (CA) Governor's Design Award for architect Maynard Lyndon. Photo from Architectural Forum, 1967.

and an iron-on logo patch from The Imaginary World collection, showing the devil logo
Here's the earlier, more menacing devil used in the first decades of OJ
again, from Dan Goodsell's Imaginary World via Mark London's blog

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com
http://heavypaperz.blogspot.com/
http://www.uam.ucsb.edu/Pages/current.html

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:54 am

Should I change the title of this thread to Orange Julius? If I edit the title in the first post, will that do it?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Great idea. Yes, just change the first post.
(flickr)

Return to “FAVORITE BUILDINGS (and signs)”