RFK Memorial Stadium- Washington, DC

A place to catalog, review, and discuss specific Mid Century Modern locations across the world, both past and present.

Moderators: Joe, moderns-r-us, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CapitalMod
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

RFK Memorial Stadium- Washington, DC

Postby CapitalMod » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:17 pm

Name: Robert F Kennedy Memorial Stadium (fka DC Stadium)

Architect:George A. Dahl (Dallas), Osborn Engineering (Cleveland) and Ewin Engineering Associates (Washington, DC)

Year: 1961

Street: 2400 East Capitol Street SE
City: Washington
State: DC
Zip: 20003

Type: Baseball, Football and Soccer Stadium.
Style: Space Age

Description: Former home of my beloved Redskins and current home of the Nationals. Along with Dodger and Shea, one of the last Space Age stadiums. Always thought it looked like a Googie flying saucer.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:26 pm

The year I started GWU, the Senators moved to Texas. And it was impossble to get a Redksins ticket. So, I never got to go to a game there in four years of undergrad.

It was a tough neighborhood then. Is it still?

I know the Cardinals have a new stadium, but did they tear down the 1960s stadium in St Louis?

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:56 am

Its still a bit dodgy, but hardly the worst. As with any sporting event, there are loads of cops around. I have walked to games without anything resembling an incident. Yankee Stadium is in the South Bronx and that does not deter the fans.

Yes, they tore down Bush Stadium in St Louis as they built the new one. The new one is nice though.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:15 am

What's the point of having a retro stadium when your heritage is mid-century modern? That was a very pretty stadium - a little quirky for baseball because the field was so far below ground level. Does anyone know if the St Loius modern fans put up a fight for the old stadium?

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:39 pm

I think the issure basically is luxury boxes (i.e. Money), which newer ones are better suited. Also, there has been a backlash against multi-purpose stadiums with most feeling both baseball and football clubs should have dedicated stadiums. The old Bush was multi-purpose as is RFK.

Finally, as we see in nearly every incarnation of MCM, it lies between new and old and is thus condemned as simply 'dated'.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:23 pm

I did see a few blogs lamenting the demise of Busch Stadium in St Louis. It does seem that the multipurpose stadiums, all built within about a ten year period, have mostly met the end of their lives

http://www-dave.cs.uiuc.edu/blog/images ... 112101.jpg

Kansas City was very fortunate. Even though they were built at the same time as the multipurpose stadiums, we somehow managed to get two separate stadiums side by side.

It was originally designed with the thought of having a rolling roof that could be shared by both stadiums and this idea was recently revived.

It is a shame, but KC is currently kicking around the idea of a downtown stadium again after the rolling roof initiative failed
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Return to “FAVORITE BUILDINGS (and signs)”