America's most popular buildings

A place to catalog, review, and discuss specific Mid Century Modern locations across the world, both past and present.

Moderators: Joe, moderns-r-us, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

scowsa
Modern Guru

America's most popular buildings

Postby scowsa » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:53 am

There have been several articles recently on the American Institute of Architects national poll that asked the public to name its favorite buildings in the United States.

Here's one, which includes a link to the full list

and here's another in today's LAT, provocatively titled "Where Modernism hit an Art Deco wall"

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:39 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Times Opinion Piece

Postby Josquin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Re: America's most popular buildings

Postby MD² » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:19 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:07 am

Thank you, MD. This is a point that should have been made (to American "traditionalists" and others) decades ago -- and hasn't been, to my knowledge. Anyone with access to a well-stocked library will find the international architectural press and its endless examples of the phenomenon you describe.

Unfortunately, most Americans are familiar only with Architectural Disgust (oops, that's Digest) -- which shouldn't even have the A-word in its title, if you ask me !

SDR :cheers:
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Connie
Modern Master

Re: America's most popular buildings

Postby Connie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:52 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:08 pm

Thanks, Connie. Maybe it's time to bring our German up to speed; the word "Schloss" means. . .? Which of the images represents the original, and the proposed reconstruction ? This should be an interesting case study.

When in school, my classmates had the problem to add to a late-eighteenth century public building in historic Providence, Rhode island. It was a brick structure with prominent round-headed tall windows, as I recall it. I was outnumbered (among early-sixties architecture students) in proposing an exact duplication of the original materials, forms and details -- or perhaps a close but simplified version of them. Today, we see that this is an unnecessary empathy, and probably less honorable than a clean and clear demarcation between old and new.

How would you assess Dresden, or any other European post-WWII recreation/restoration that you may have seen ? I understand that some of these were as faithful to the original as possible -- in some cases using much of the original material ?

(I like the Stavenger example; I think I'd like it even more -- despite my constructivist sympathies for the present effect -- if the ground floor had been treated to continuous bands of wood, as the attic is. This might have suggested even more directly a sort of ghost or translucent masonry coursing, not inappropriate to the "basement" of a structure ? In any event, it's a cool house. . .)

SDR

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:07 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:24 pm

Thanks, Connie -- that helps. (Yes, blinded is quite correct.) What a horror ! I really had no idea. I guess arrogance of power is nothing new. . .

I too am a modernist born and bred, it seems. However, while attending design school in an historic old East Coast city, I gained the rudiments of an appreciation of the building of the past. And, more recently, a book by architectural historian Vincent Scully has meant something to me in this regard; the critical descriptions of eighteenth-century French landscape architecture (for aristocratic or royal patrons, of course) by Le Vau and Le Notre, and of a WW I memorial in France by English architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, are enough to kindle an interest in the builders of past.

The book is "Architecture: the Natural and the Manmade" (St Martin's Press, 1991). Highly recommended; Scully deals with sites in North and Central America, Egypt, Greece, Italy, and France, over a span of several thousand years.

SDR

Peter van Vliet
Modern Groupie

Postby Peter van Vliet » Tue May 01, 2007 1:02 pm

I'm new to Lotta Livin'. Well not exactly 'cause I've been snoopin' around for a few years but only recently decided to register.

Anyway, I just decided to put in my two cents worth after reading MD2's posting and his mention of Delft. I actually am from the Netherlands (probably the only one on Lotta Livin) and live nearby Delft. While there are indeed a few examples of good modern architecture, there's also lotsa dross plumped between the 17th century town houses.

And actually, historic building is pretty popular here nowadays. People don't want a modern glass box, they want a house that dates back to the 19th century. And they don't care if it's original or new....

So, the situation here isn't all that much better then in the US....

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I just happened onto this discussion

Postby modfan » Tue May 01, 2007 7:17 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue May 01, 2007 7:19 pm

Return to “FAVORITE BUILDINGS (and signs)”