Farnsworth House, Plano, IL

A place to catalog, review, and discuss specific Mid Century Modern locations across the world, both past and present.

Moderators: Joe, moderns-r-us, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Connie
Modern Master

Farnsworth House, Plano, IL

Postby Connie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:17 am

Name: Farnsworth House
Architect: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Year: 1951

Street: River Road
City: Plano
State: Illinois
Zip: 60545
Phone: (630) 552-0052

Type: house
Style: minimalist modern

Links: http://www.farnsworthhouse.org/index.htm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:03 pm

It is magnificent. Good photos in that article. There are other photos posted by Lotta Living members, somewhere here. . .

I recall seeing drawings of the house in a book; a section through the entrance planes shows the individual paving stones supported in such a way that rainwater is drained in a pyramidal pan to the center of each square, and thence to the ground; presumably more discreet than dripping from the edge of the deck.

"God is in the details" -- and in the initial conception, no doubt.

It's interesting that Philip Johnson built his house in 1949, two years before Mies built the Farnsworth. Of course, Johnson didn't have to await the arrival of his client !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:05 pm

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... farnsworth

Some of the pictures aren't showing -- but the discussion might be of interest.

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Thanks, SDR! I also remembered the photos with the fish in the meadow.

Isn't it an amazing house? It is so pure and soothing. I also love Philip Johnson's Glass House but Farnsworth House it much more elegant and "floating". To me it is just perfect.

The History section of the web-site mentions that Mr Johnson saw a model of Farnsworth House in 1947. Is it possible that he got some "inspiration" from it?

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:42 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:45 pm

Connie wrote:
The History section of the web-site mentions that Mr Johnson saw a model of Farnsworth House in 1947. Is it possible that he got some "inspiration" from it?

INSPIRATION! Heck, it is pretty well documented that he STOLE it! he was working for Mies at about that time.

And got it built before Farnsworth.
Last edited by moderns-r-us on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:57 pm

Speaking of copying the Farnsworth House....

I saw this on ebay and thought it looked like the Farnsworth House in WOOD!

Some of them Hedrich Blessing photos as well!

Anyone know this house???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Can't say I know it. Architectural Record was very fond of this kind of thing from the late fifties to the early-mid seventies; every issue of Record Houses seemed to have one or more variations.

There is a book by Johnson companion David Whitney called "The Glass House," I believe; in it are many trial floor plans for Johnson's house, with a number of different types of core structures more complex than the final brick cylinder. There is even a double spiral, as I recall. . .

SDR

scottkaycee
Modern Master

The Glass House as progeny of the Farnsworth House

Postby scottkaycee » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:04 am

Johnson was always open about being inspired by Mies, especially the Farnsworth House and Mies' glass house sketches. Contemporary with the debut of the Glass House was an article in which Johnson laid out all of his influences on the project going back to the Parthenon. It is not fair to categorize this as copied or stolen from Mies, it is in it's own right a sophisticated design that may use Mies as a starting point but is developed in a non-Miesian way. Structural details, the fireplace mass, the relation to the landscape and the neighboring guest house are all non-Miesian.

The Steel House in Wood may be a Craig Ellwood house, several of his projects are Miesian excersises in Wood but it could also be a miesian disciple as there were many especially in the midwest.
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Wed May 02, 2007 1:42 pm

Ellwood did do some Mies influenced residential work. A couple in particular, the Daphne House, 1960-1961...

..as well as the Rosen House, 1961-1962...

...both bring to mind the Farnsworth House. He also did homes similar to those, but in wood. The Kubly House, 1964-1965, is great one...

Ellwood is one of my favorite architects of that period. I've got a couple of books on him. Despite some of the not so flattering details of his professional career (the lack of an architectural degree and some confusion over the true authorship of the designs that came out of his firm), I still think his work (or at least, the work his firm produced) is great.

--Robb
Last edited by robbhouston on Fri May 04, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed May 02, 2007 4:18 pm

I would venture to say that nearly all of Ellwood's (or whatever his real name was) work (or whoever actually designed the work) was strongly influenced by the work of Mies.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Wed May 02, 2007 6:04 pm

In his defense, John Burke (Craig Ellwood) must have done some designing...operating his practice (for the first for 4 years, at least) basically, alone. Back then, he did utilized the relationship of a licensed architect to sign off on his designs (as he was not licensed himself), as well as a draftsman. He was active from about 1948 until 1977...until he gave it all up, moved to Italy, and became an artist. His early work would be more likened to Frank Lloyd Wright, or maybe A. Quincy Jones. The Mies influence came about later (they actually met and became friends). In his hey-day, he lead a flamboyant life...driving exotic sports cars, marrying an actress, etc... His work was among the most published of it's time. Good self promotion, I suppose... :) To his credit, 3 of the Case Study Home designs came from his firm.

The books I've read...

The Architecture of Craig Ellwood by Neil Jackson
Craig Ellwood: In the Spirit of the Time by Perez Mendez

...on his life and work are very interesting. The designs that came out of his firm are awesome stuff (IMHO). For anyone interested in great MCM architecture (particularly designs along the lines of the Case Study Homes) I recommend looking into it.

Great stuff... :)

--Robb
Last edited by robbhouston on Fri May 04, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Thu May 03, 2007 11:13 am

Thanks for posting these terrific photos. Seems as if I have some new books on my wish list, too.
The Moore House is awesome. If only I could live in a floating glass box like that ....

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri May 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Thanks for posting these terrific photos. Seems as if I have some new books on my wish list, too. The Moore House is awesome. If only I could live in a floating glass box like that....

My pleasure... :)

BTW, I have a correction on my previous post. The glass pavilion in wood pictured above is the Kubly House 1964-1965, not the Moore House. Although both are beautiful, the Moore House did not have the recessed foundation wall creating the floating effect (recalling Farnsworth) that the Kubly House did....

Moore House, 1964-1965

My mistake, sorry.

Hey, if you decide to pick just one of those 2 books I mentioned before, I recommend 'Craig Ellwood: In the Spirit of the Time by Perez Mendez'. I just preferred the way the story of his life and the chronology of his work were presented (more of a time-line, where as the other book jumped around a bit). And, of course, it has lots and lots of great photos (some of which Ellwood himself took).

But, to get back on topic...here's a great link with a bunch of info, images and, even computer animations of the construction process of the Farnsworth House...

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsapp/BT/GAT ... nswth.html

--Robb

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Mon May 07, 2007 12:31 pm

robbhouston wrote:Hey, if you decide to pick just one of those 2 books I mentioned before, I recommend 'Craig Ellwood: In the Spirit of the Time by Perez Mendez'.

Thanks! :cheers: I just ordered the book at Amazon.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri May 11, 2007 9:59 am

http://www.philipjohnsonglasshouse.org/

will be nice to see the glass house.
sorry if this is a repeat posting...don't want those interested to miss it.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri May 11, 2007 4:29 pm

A view of the house that I've never seen before. . .

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:28 am

I just learned that Farnsworth House is flooded again: http://www.farnsworthhouse.org/index.htm :(

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:03 pm

Return to “FAVORITE BUILDINGS (and signs)”