Save Neutra's Mariners complex, Newport Beach CA 7-10-2008

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SpaceAgeCity
Modern Socialite

Save Neutra's Mariners complex, Newport Beach CA 7-10-2008

Postby SpaceAgeCity » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:01 pm

Richard Neutra's 1963 Mariners' Medical Arts Center in Newport Beach, CA, is threatened with demolition to make way for a larger office building.

From www.recentpast.org:
[quote]"Interested members of the public are encouraged to attend the next scheduled Arts Commission meeting for the City of Newport Beach and speak on behalf of preserving this important Neutra building.

"Each member of the public will have three minutes to comment on non-agenda items of public interest. The Arts Commission advises the Newport Beach City Council on all matters pertaining to historical and cultural aspects of the community and participates in the designation of historical landmarks.

"Next meeting: July 10, 2008, at 5:00 p.m.
Location: Newport Beach Central Library, 1000 Avocado Avenue, Conference Room

"Letters of support can be mailed to:
Newport Beach City Arts Commission
City of Newport Beach
3300 Newport Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92663

"If you are interested in participating further,
please contact RPPN at submit@recentpast.org"[/quote]

I have also posted some information and photos on my O.C. History Roundup Blog: http://ochistorical.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... wport.html

Christine Madrid French, president of the Recent Past Preservation Network has also posted her letter of support: http://www.recentpast.org/types/neutra/ ... tbeach.doc

This is one of only a few remaining Neutra projects still standing in Orange County, and it's an overlooked beauty. Come to the meeting and speak up, won't you?

SpaceAgeCity
Modern Socialite

Postby SpaceAgeCity » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:24 pm

P.S. - If you plan to attend and would like to meet for dinner afterward, give me a call at my work number: (714) 834-2434. Or better yet, just look for a tall guy in a polo shirt at the meeting and introduce yourself.
Last edited by SpaceAgeCity on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby classic form » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:03 pm

That does it...Goodbye.

SpaceAgeCity
Modern Socialite

Postby SpaceAgeCity » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Hope my offer to meet for dinner didn't make you want to end it all, Classic Form.

classic form

Postby classic form » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:35 am

Nope, before reading this thread I read the one about the Wilshire being torn down and decided I couldn't visit this site anymore...yours just put me over the top.

Seriously though, it does get a little depressing reading/hearing about our beloved style being tossed aside. I still find it hard to believe some of the buildings that are being lost.

When I first moved to Kalamazoo and was driving around getting familiar with the city I ran across a building that sat on a corner in the middle of at least 40 acres and had been sitting empty for a while. Beautiful building, walls of glass, wonderful landscaping (from what I could tell of what was left of it) and just an all around nice International Style office. I found out a couple weeks ago from Tomb that it was owned by Pfizer (formerly Upjohns headquarters building) and that it had been torn down. Designed by SOM in '62.

http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2007/08 ... ssibl.html

Upjohn Corporate Headquarters
Year Award-Granting Organization Award Title Project
1962 Administrative Management Magazine Office of the Year Award Upjohn Corporate Headquarters
1962 American Institute of Steel Construction Architectural Award of Excellence Upjohn Corporate Headquarters
1971 American Society of Landscape Architects Merit Award Upjohn Corporate Headquarters

Now it's just an empty lot. I understand that it costs money to keep a building around but it's not like Pfizer doesn't have any. I know, it's just business...

BTW, I'd love to have dinner...you buying?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:44 am

classic form

Postby classic form » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:48 am

SpaceAgeCity
Modern Socialite

Postby SpaceAgeCity » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:30 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:00 pm

Hey boys and girls, do give a report of how this went. I was out of town or would have been there trying to be articulate.

SpaceAgeCity
Modern Socialite

Postby SpaceAgeCity » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:40 pm

The good news is that we had a great show of support from some very eloquent and impressive people.

The Arts Commission was sympathetic, but don't have the clout to change the situation. They did, however, offer suggestions on navigating the City system to make ourselves heard.

It *appears* that the City Planning Dept issued permits to the developer without asking for a historical study or jumping through the appropriate CEQA hoops first. (Which is ILLEGAL, for those of you keeping score at home.) And it sounds like the developer plans to start demolishing things as early as next week, beginning with the landscaping. Demo begins in earnest by Aug. 1st (if not earlier.)

Sadly, it appears this situation may require the preservationists to communicate with the city and developers in the only way people understand these days: litigation. But I still hope (probably foolishly) that it can be resolved WITHOUT bringing lawyers into it.

To clear up some earlier statements in news articles, the Mariners Medical Arts complex IS, in fact, on the City's historic inventory.

SpaceAgeCity
Modern Socialite

Postby SpaceAgeCity » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Good news! The City of Newport Beach has suspended demolition of Mariners Medical Arts Center! To his great credit, City Planning Director David Lepo reviewed the project and found that the CEQA analysis was inadequate. This Modern gem isn't safe yet, but now it has a prayer.

See the Daily Pilot article for details:
http://www.dailypilot.com/articles/2008 ... 071208.txt

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”