Downey Historical Society MOvie Night Feb. 26.

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

retrocool
Modern Master

Downey Historical Society MOvie Night Feb. 26.

Postby retrocool » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Press Release

History buffs invited to meeting

DOWNEY— Historian Wally Shidler will present his 16mm film, “To Mount Lowe with Love,â€￾ at Thursday’s meeting of the Downey Historical Society inside the John Downey Room at the Barbara J. Riley Community and Senior Center.

Filmed in 1976 by Phillip Callahan, the half-hour film is about the historic incline cable cars that ran from Pasadena to the top of the peak known as Mount Lowe.

Sometimes called “a railroad to the stars,â€￾ the now-lost rail line is a little known piece of California history. Professor T.S.C. Lowe, who built the line and suffered through its history, said about its ending: “I have no regrets…a monument such as Mount Lowe will be [a memorial] to my name when I have passed away.â€￾

Shidler is a historian and motion picture engineer. He is a member of the Huntington Park Historical Preservation Commission and is a collector of historic memorabilia.

Thursday’s meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. The public is invited.

www.downeyhistoricalsociety.org
Member Downey Historical Society,
President - The Downey Conservancy
Aerospace Legacy Foundation Board Member
President - Downey Museum of Art

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”