Philly PA Photo exhibit meetup 10/3 deco, googie, tiki

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap
Modern Socialite

Philly PA Photo exhibit meetup 10/3 deco, googie, tiki

Postby Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:09 pm

A tip of the hat to the Recent Past Preservation Network for hipping me to this Retro Roadmap-worthy exhibit at the Athenaeum of Philadelphia - and it's FREE!

Jacob Stelman – Architectural Photography 1936 -1970.

From the Athenaeum’s website- (emphasis by me):

Based on the Athenaeum’s collection of more than 5000 images from talented and prolific Philadelphia photographer, Jacob Stelman, this exhibition features more than 100 of his best photos. While Stelman’s work included landmark structures such as Frank Lloyd Wright’s Temple Beth Sholom in Elkins Park (1959), the exhibit also reveals the changing face of commercial Philadelphia at mid-century, when “downtown” was the uncontested retail capital of our region. The stores, theaters, restaurants, supermarkets and hotels depicted in the exhibit run the stylistic gamut from Art Deco to Modern to Googie to Tiki, and provide a glimpse into an era before the uniform design of corporate chains dampened the robust individuality of both commercial architecture and signage.

Since the show is only open on 2 Saturdays, I am hosting and impromptu "Retro Roadmap Meet-up" at the Athenaeum this Saturday October 3 at noon.

I'll be there with my Vintage Roadside Hacienda Motel tee shirt on for easy spotting, if there are any folks who will be there at the same time, please come up and say hello! I'd love to meet other like minded folks in the Philly area.

Here's a link to the details at Retro Roadmap -

Hope to see some of you on Saturday!

Beth / Mod Betty

Your source for Retro, Vintage and Cool Old Places worth visiting!

Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:10 am

Went to the exhibit yesterday and it's a real treat- if you're in Philly at all between now and November 7 you should check it out. Great photos of the stores, signage and neon that used to be commonplace in the city and many others I'm sure. Gorgeous oversized black and white photos I wish I could take home!

Your source for Retro, Vintage and Cool Old Places worth visiting!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”