LA, Bogart festival with Hugh Hefner > Mar. 5 - Apr. 10

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

LA, Bogart festival with Hugh Hefner > Mar. 5 - Apr. 10

Postby nichols » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 am

3.5.10 - 4.30.10
UCLA Film & Television Archive and the Hugh M. Hefner Classic American Film Program present
HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU, HUMPHREY BOGART

Humphrey Bogart continues to exert a deep and lasting influence on the cinematic imagination and popular culture around the world. It was not, however, until mid-way through Bogart's career in the 1940s that he emerged as a major star and the mythic persona he's known for today came into view. As part of this special retrospective, Archive supporter Hugh Hefner, a cultural icon in his own right, has selected his five essential films from this crucial period in Bogart's career: The Maltese Falcon (1941), Casablanca (1942), To Have and Have Not (1946), The Big Sleep (1946) and Key Largo (1948). These are the films that established Bogart as the hard-boiled outsider, the urban knight errant who holds his cynicism and idealism in magnetic tension until he's called—invariably by a woman—to action. It's a quintessentially American balancing act that Bogart carried off with inimitable aplomb. This series which kicks off with a selection of classic Bogart films that throw into relief, and even deconstruct, the image of Bogart represented in Hefner's "essential five."
IN PERSON: Hugh Hefner, with The Maltese Falcon on March 25.

http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/calendar/cal ... e=2&id=380

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:07 am

LOS ANGELES TIMES

CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD
March 03, 2010
Hugh Hefner has a confession.

"I think I opened the first Playboy Club because of 'Casablanca.' I wanted to have a place where people came to hang out as they did at Rick's," admits the pajama-clad founder of the Playboy empire.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/03 ... -2010mar03

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”