Anyone been to Palm Springs Alexander Week?

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
squeaky
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Anyone been to Palm Springs Alexander Week?

Postby squeaky » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:13 pm

It so happens that I will be in PS the same weekend as Alexander week. I've never been on a house tour before so was wondering if the $85 price tag is justified?

And are these types of tours usually walking or driving? And do you get to see interiors of the houses?

There doesn't seem to be too many details on the website. I'm sure someone on this board is on one of the foundations so I figure I throw this out there.

Thanks!

http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/alexander.html

The Mod Jetsetter
Modern Fan

Postby The Mod Jetsetter » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:56 pm

The Palm Springs Preservation Foundation puts on first rate events. The first Alexander Weekend was ten years ago. This event marks 10 years since that weekend.

The home tours are well worth it. You will need a car to get from neighborhood to neighborhood on both Saturday and Sunday. Some houses in each 'hood may be within walking distance, and yes, you WILL see the interiors. Many have not been open to tours before.

With the home tours, comes the tribute journal on the Alexanders, which is photo and fact filled.

This event is comparable to January 2010's Wexler Weekend, which honored Donald Wexler.

Check back for more details on their website - the initial details just went up. Better yet, join them online via their website for FREE to get informative email blasts. Also, "Like" them on Facebook!

10yrsaft
Modern Socialite

Postby 10yrsaft » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:13 pm

Anytime there is an opportunity to see multiple homes on a tour it usually is just worth it for the savings in time to see so much at one time.
My experience from previous home tours is the ones selected were screened for appropriateness and quality.

Besides the homes themselves most of the time the interiors are furnished to compliment the MCM theme. Always great to see how each homeowner approaches it and their own personal style.

There ususally also is a handout that hopefully has decent info.
Is not sometimes a portion of the cost tax deductable?
Tx and have a great time!

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”