ModCom 20th

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

ModCom 20th

Postby SDR » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:29 pm

Congratulations to ModCom on their twentieth anniversary, and what I'm sure was a successful two-day tour. Wish I had been able to attend. As
an out-of-towner, I'm waiting with bated breath for any impressions and
new insights about what was seen and enjoyed. LA rocks!

I posted the other day about the iconic Shulman image of a Mutual
Housing Association house (with dirt road and Mom/dog/kid), not
realizing both Shulman and Mutual would be on the tour. . .wonder if
anything new might have been unearthed.

Love you all SDR

KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

Postby KevInBoots » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:13 pm

My brief impressions: the high points were very high, but there was absolutely no chance to visit all the sites. They were just too far apart, and the 6 hour window each day too short. That wasn't too big a problem, though, since I thought many of the sites weren't that interesting, or were places that could be visited anytime, Modcom tour or no Modcom tour.

For me the absolute highlight was the tour of the Elliot House by Shindler. What a fantastic restoration of an absolutely amazing design. We were tempted to go back an tour it again. I really wanted to be able to take some photos in there. Anyone know of any books/magazines that have good interior photos?

It was a pleasure to see Case Study #8, though I think the ideas embodied in the place are more impressive than the reality of it. It was tough knowing that there were several amazing and seminal homes next door that we couldn't see.

The Crestwood Hills/Mutual Housing Association was nice, though we didn't have time to seek out any of the other extant examples in the neighborhood. I'll have to take the map we got and spend a day in that neighborhood later.

The Neutra VDL Research House II was a little disappointing. Not just that it's in such poor shape, but that it really didn't seem like a space I'd want to live in. It felt like an experiment that didn't quite work out.

Probably the number 2 highlight was touring Julius Shulman's home. It was great to see a great modern home that had been lived in and enjoyed for over 50 years by the same family without major changes. No thinking "gee, what was it like before the second or third owners screwed it up," or "wow, how much did the restoration cost, and how much did they change?" It was also great having Mr. Shulman sign some books for us, though we couldn't really talk with him because some persistent guy was engaging him in a long, intimate religious conversation while we were all standing there. Anyway, I got to hear him talk at length, and to ask him a few questions, when he was a panelist at the Altadena modern tour a year or so ago.

The Union Oil Center was more interesting than I expected. Wish we could have seen some of the upstairs, though.

The one site we didn't make it to that I really wanted to see was the Mar Vista Tract. I'll do that one on my own, but I would have liked to have seen inside one of the homes and have the guided tour.

That was my take on it. We only had time to do 4 sites each day (though 6 of the sites were places I was already familiar with), but despite that we thought it was worthwhile. The program guide book was well done, and I really appreciate the hard work the docents and volunteers put in.

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:16 am

Kev, It's unfortunate that you missed Ain's Mar Vista Tract. I had visited his homes in Altadena on the previously mentioned tour and came away with little outside of the fact that it was an entire tract of modern homes, which is a rarity.

Upon seeing the inside of a home in the Mar Vista Tract, I now come away with the opinion that Ain was brilliant. We were standing outside the home and there were poster boards of various pictures and old adverts about the tract. The old adverts made me laugh with their use of the word "modernique". Presumably, a made up combination of the words modern & unique. Well, upon seeing the "moveable" wall, the dining room / kitchen table combo / pass thru and where another partitioned wall originally would have been, it was indeed "modernique" and quite brilliant.

On the 1st day, we were able to see all but the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium which we skipped purposely because we had just been there for CA Boom fest a few weeks ago. Of cource, we "cheated" a little bit in that we started with Bob's Big Boy before the "official" start time of 10:00 AM and ended with Pann's after the "official" end time of 4:00 PM. As a bonus, we were even able to tour the Ladera Heights MCM homes on our way to Pann's. 1st day highlights for me were the "retro" breakfast at Bob's and dinner at Pann's, the interior of the Ain in Mar Vista, the exterior of the 2nd case study home on the left hand side as we walked to the Eames home (the one with what appeared to be furniture grade wood on the exterior and exposed eaves)(sp?), the landscaping / potted plants at Mr. Shulman's and having the opportunity to get my Modernism Rediscovered signed by Mr. Shulman.

On the 2nd day, we were able to take in all but 2 of the sites within the "official" time frames. We were able to drive by those 2 after 4:00 PM which proved to be more than satisfactory. 2nd day highlights for me were touring the grounds of the Ambassador, the Elliot House because it is such an early example and the amazing bamboo, the details of the Neutra VDL II, the interior tour of the Music Center that the volunteer made seem very special and on a personal note, my wife's reaction to the area around Coca-Cola which she had visited often as a child beacuse her grandmother lived just down the street.

It was also great to have met our Web Mistress M-M, Chris Nichols & LA Kevin.

On the negative side, the Downey McDonalds wasn't a pleasant experience. They had no problem taking my $5.99 for the $2.99 All American Meal but, reluctantly gave us a t-shirt which was a left over from over a year ago and we had no choice as to it's size and I had to go to my car for the tour guide in order to show them that a post card was included as well. They didn't appear to welcome our patronage.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

ModCom heaven

Postby SDR » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:52 am

Kevin and JB -- Thanks both for that -- you guys are great. I'm with you
in spirit if not in the flesh!

Mr Shulman's house -- saw it 2/98 on a MAK-sponsored Schindler-plus house tour. Isn't it (and he) wonderful? (He was surrounded by friends
and admirers so didn't get to meet) I recall the wedge-shaped entrance hall, interesting bedroom arrangement and the jungle-like surroundings--
photos in McCoy, "Second Generation," pp. 161-162 show its early appearance and she refers to the 'view' -- not any more!

Elliot house, Schindler, 1930 -- Gebhard (1980) pp.123-124 mentions
'common and readily available materials for both structure and finishes:
stucco (inside and out), plain fir plywood (waxed, not varnished or painted)
and linoleum for floors and tabe tops.' Scheine (GG, 1998) has photos
(pp. 104-107) of the interior and the New York Times (how do you underline on a computer keyboard?) Magazine Home Design (Part 2, Fall
2002, Oct. 13 pp.96-101) has great color shots, including the garage MM refers to. Apparently, the living-room fireplace originally opened to the
outside (!?) but was later glassed in; the exterior was originally an ochre
color, with the interior in 'light sand' (Schindler houses are like paintings:
black-and white photos leave out an important element of the work!)

SDR

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:27 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:37 am

i have created a photo album for anyone who wants to upload pictures from the day

http://www.lottaliving.com/gallery/modcom202020

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:52 am

Thanks for all that stopped by to say Hi. It was a wonderful tour, and I got to see some amazing houses and landscaping. I had a great time talking about architecture and listening to others talk about it. Got to meet some wonderful people as well.

Kevin

KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

Postby KevInBoots » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:21 pm

I've started to upload some of my photos. I'll need some help with the captions on some, esp. the houses around the Eames House (the docent at the end of the driveway had a great map/diagram with architects and dates, but I only got to glance at it).

I just realized to my chagrin that my photos of Julius Schulman's house aren't there. I don't know how the other photos I took are there and those are missing. I especially wanted the photo of his garage, with the frosted glass in the back. The light was nice in the late afternoon when we were there. Damn digital cameras (can't very well blame myself, now, can I?).

Anyway, I have more photos, hopefully I'll get to them tomorrow.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

ModCom 20th photos

Postby SDR » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:23 pm

KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

Postby KevInBoots » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:59 pm

The story of the fringe around the carport was that the mother (or mother-in-law) of the man who was having the home built (wish I'd taken notes of his name) had driven her car into the garage door of another home, and they were worried it would happen again. So they used long fringe as a screen instead of a garage door. You would just drive through it. It appeared the fringe was carried over as a sun screen for the portion of the house next to the carport. It was an interesting look.

The docent said that the house immediately next to CS 8 wasn't the Entenza house; apparently we couldn't see the Entenza house from our vantage point walking up to the Eames house. Did anyone else who went on the tour get better details than I did?

I'm posting more pictures now.

KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

Postby KevInBoots » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:04 pm

All my photos are up now. Please add corrections and information to my sketchy captions. And please add more photos! I can't believe how many times I thought I was taking a picture that didn't record.

And I forgot to thank you, SDR, for the Elliot house info. Hopefully the NYTimes Magazine photos are available online.

Kevin

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

KevInBoots

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:17 am

Kevin -- After posting about the Elliot house/NY Times article I went to
their site to see what they offer. . .Their reprints don't include pictures,
and prints from their photo department start at $95.! So, I would be glad to provide a photocopy of the article if you want to e-mail me an address.
You can reach me at: sdrdesign@yahoo.com

YOUR pictures of that and other houses are great. What kind of camera do you use? The open corner window of the Elliot house (with its original
wavy glass!) was a nice surprise; no other photos of the house reveal
that both sashes are operable -- another of his Wrightian notes.

(Anybody for the idea that the King's Road house is a prototype Usonian?)

SDR

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Kings Road House

Postby scottkaycee » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:38 pm

There has been some talk of that, Judith Sheine throws that out there in her book "R.M. Schindler" It certainly predates the Usonian houses, Plus it would share the Japanese influence that Wright always denied but was obviously evident. In fact there is a design done by Schindler for Wright while he worked for him thst Wright claimed for his own which I believe he had to stop doing because the authorship was more clearly Schindler. Wright adamnatly denied any influences but his work however magnificent can often be seen as an outgrowth of the many differnet traditions. Fallingwater is an examle of his take on the International Style. I feel in Wright's defense that it must be said that Taliesin would have undoubtedly influenced the King's Road house, as a home studio arranged around a series of corresponding outdoor spaces.

KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

Postby KevInBoots » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:40 am

SDR, many thanks for your kind offer. I checked out the NYTimes site and was disappointed to find the same lack of photos with the reprints. I thought of asking you for copies, but decided it was too presumptous, so your offer is a very pleasant surprise!

The camera is a Fujifilm Finepix A210, a 3 megapixel compact digital. It's a camera I gave as a gift to my girlfriend, so I don't use it much, and I'm definitely not used to the limitations of digital cameras (that horrible lag between pushing the button and getting the photo, and having to hold the camera out in front of you as you take the photo). That's why I thought I was taking photos at Schulman's house and ended up with nothing. Years ago I did some photography and processed by own black and white stuff. Lots of fun. I'm thinking about getting my old film cameras out of the closet and getting back into it, thought I don't think there's anywhere I can set up a darkroom in the house I have now.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Schindler, Wright, etc

Postby SDR » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:48 pm

scottkaycee -- Wright! (I mean, right!) Can't find Scheine's mention of
Usonian 'per se' but she certainly goes into the connections at length. . .I
also like Schindler's story about spending time in a camp/hut (?) at Yosemite that he says influenced the form of his house; something closed and secure at the back and more or less open to the sun in front.

Yeah, the Wright/Schindler thing is fascinating. . .One of Wright's details that Schindler apparently liked and used for a while in the 'twenties is the
window muntin detail that has smaller panes against the jamb on one side,
morphing into larger ones for the rest of the window. The Lovell Beach House (see my post @ Ten Modern Buildings today) has this.

David Gebhard, "Schindler" (1980) shows a house at Olive Hill (Barnsdall)
that he did for Wright in 1920, the Directors House (now demolished?), and
mentions another, "Oleanders," that wasn't built(?). According to Sweeney
("Wright in Hollywood," 1994) Schindler turned the incomplete Little Dipper
community playhouse project at Olive Hill into a garden seating area, pergola and pond. "Schindler used Wright's system of reinforced-concrete block construction to complete the project. Its ruinous state led city employees to partially demolish the structure after the 1994 earthquake."
I saw the sad remains in 1998. I wonder if it is too late to rebuild this
little oasis?

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Mon May 30, 2005 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:24 am

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. Did anyone shoot stuff from Crestwood Hills or Shulman's house?

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:45 am

BTW, the Fall issue of Modernism Magazine has the Schindler Elliot House in full glory.

Kevin

here's a link:
http://www.modernismmagazine.com/mhome.html
Last edited by L.A.kevin on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

Postby KevInBoots » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:45 pm

Kevin, is that issue on stands now, or soon to be out?

Joe, I didn't make it to Crestwood Hills, and I bothched my Schulman home photos (over the weekend I was taking photos in the Japanese Garden at the Huntington and figured out what I was doing wrong, but too late . . .).

Kevin

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:56 pm

L.A.kevin -- Yay! Thanks for that. BTW, in KevinBoots' shots @ rear(?) of
Neutra's house (you're in one) there is an interesting wall -- is that stone,
ceramic, or what? Maybe he liked to try out new materials @ home. . .?

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Neutra garage

Postby SDR » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:17 pm

Oh, yeah, and tell us about the garage @ Neutra's, too!

SDR

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:11 pm

I made a liitle posting mistake and put down some comments re: Neutra VDL house, it was meant to go here instaed I started a new thread, under Main Discussion, VDL house, if youre interested give it a try.

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:17 pm

I just keep goofing, Events, VDLHouse

billk
Modern Groupie

Postby billk » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:48 pm

KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

Thank you, SDR!

Postby KevInBoots » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:15 pm

Huge, belated thanks to SDR for sending me the NYTimes Elliot House article. I hoped it would be color copies, and they were! Thank you! Nice article with beautiful photos.

Hey, excellent design work on the hand-colored cards you included. Did you make any of the tables, etc.? They look great, and I hope they weren't unrealized design projects.

I owe you a big favor, SDR. You're a mench.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Elliot n stuff

Postby SDR » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:28 pm

Kev -- my pleasure; can't get lucky like that and not share! (I hadn't made color copies in a while, and I was amazed at the current state of the art.)

Now to L.A.Kevin's note about coverage of the Elliot house in the Fall "Modernism" -- looking at their site shows a cover photo, and also another reason for me to see that issue: a piece on Ray Kappe. Earlier this year a museum in your town had an exhibit of his work (with models, I'm told) that I read about too late to attend. Anybody catch that?

The cards -- I did those to send to potential employers, fans and friends, who haven't known til now what the heck I've been doing with myself. The three tables are photographs of models: nos. 1, 2, and 3 are (respectively) 1:4, 1:2 and 1:6 scale, the first two made earlier this year. I'm transitioning from cabinetmaker/furnituremaker to designer/delineator/? If architecture is "an old man's art" then I'm right on time to get started!

SDR :cheers:

KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

Postby KevInBoots » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:31 am

Well, they're nice designs, SDR, so I imagine that transition should go well.

The cover of the latest 'Modernism' magazine was enough to get me to subscribe yesterday. Thanks for that link, LAKev.

Kevin

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:50 am

Pushed me over the edge, too. I always have trouble finding that magazine at the bookstores. Always seems to be sold out a day after they get it in.

And Joe, yes, I know you HATE the art direction and photography of that particular magazine.

8) Kevin

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”