L.A. Conservancy Annual Meeting June 18

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cindyo
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

L.A. Conservancy Annual Meeting June 18

Postby cindyo » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:13 pm

L.A. Conservancy Annual Meeting Celebrates "Looking at Los Angeles"
Join the Los Angeles Conservancy at the historic Cinerama Dome (1963, Welton Becket and Associates) for a one-of-a-kind event that's free and open to the public. First is the Conservancy's annual meeting, which will recap recent efforts to save L.A. landmarks, announce our new board of directors, and recognize outstanding volunteers. Then we'll have a special program on "Looking at Los Angeles," an extraordinary new photography book that explores our city through the camera lens of more than 200 renowned artists, from Diane Arbus to Ed Ruscha to Andy Warhol. The book was edited by Los Angeles Conservancy board member and actor Ben Stiller and art/photography curator Marla Hamburg Kennedy.

Noted Los Angeles author David L. Ulin will give a slide presentation discussing images from the book. Tim Wride, former associate curator of the Photography Department at Los Angeles County Museum of Art, will then moderate a panel discussion with artists Julius Shulman and Catherine Opie, book editor Marla Hamburg Kennedy, gallery owner Craig Krull, and the Conservancy's executive director, Linda Dishman. After the program, we'll move to the ArcLight Gallery for an exhibit of prints from the book and a booksigning with the artists. The exhibit will be on view at ArcLight June 18 - July 18. Stephen Cohen Gallery is the exhibition's gallery sponsor.

Los Angeles Conservancy Annual Meeting
Saturday, June 18
10:30 am - 12:15 pm
Cinerama Dome at ArcLight Hollywood
6360 Sunset Boulevard, between Vine Street and Ivar Avenue
Free and open to the public
Parking in ArcLight garage: $2.50 for four hours with validation

For more information, call 213.623.2489 or visit

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:28 pm

So that's what a general meeting is like. My first.... Perfect setting, great to see a number of ModCom posters that have gone above and beyond, get their due Saturday.

The LA photo book was a big motivation for me to attend. No disappointment there! The panel discussion.... Julius Shulman was everything I have come to expect from posts here and articles in the paper. That is to say loads of bluster, a memory like a bear trap and a diet of high self-esteem. If you missed it, Julius "tore" the new book apart in the midst of it's creators, an eyesore to paraphrase; a poison pen letter to the great sprawling city he loves. He lobbied for a positive take on LA, for the shutterbugs and editors to aim in the direction of soaring gleeming creation. There was reference to the term "democracy" by Julius in his opening remarks on the panel that were somewhat oblique to me at first. When he was done I understood it to mean " I GOT STUCK IN A BOOK WITH A BUNCH OF CYNICAL MALCONTENTS THAT HIJACKED MY VISION OF A GLORIOUS CITY".

A part of me see this great photographer's point. The other part of me bought the book, stood in line and had anyone associated with the book with in pen in hand, including Mr. Shulman, sign the thing.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:05 am

MsJVonFink
Modern Socialite

Postby MsJVonFink » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:47 pm

Hah, I'm sorry I missed out on this.

rambling
Modern Socialite

Postby rambling » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:22 pm

Man, I'm sorry I missed it, too. Will someone please explain why an actor (Ben Stiller) was on the panel? (I'm referring to the posts in the 5th & Spring blog.)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:38 pm

The panel discussion was about this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

which was co-edited by Stiller

who also happens to be on the board of the Conservancy

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”