Johnie's Fans- I need your help!

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Johnie's Fans- I need your help!

Postby lasvegaslynn » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:27 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I am putting together a little presentation for the Curating event next weekend and I need some help.

I have four films that were have scenes shot at Johnie's but am not sure where in the films the shots of Johnie's are.

"The Big Lebowski", "Volcano", "Reservoir Dogs" and "Miracle Mile" are the DVDs and while I have seen the films it has been many a year.

Anyone that can give me an idea of scene chapters or how far into the film the shots of Johnie's appears and/or scene description, you will have my eternal thanks.

So, if there are any Johnie's fans who are also film fans, I am hoping you can help.

Thank you in advance,
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:42 am

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Johnie's

Postby lasvegaslynn » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:01 am

Thanks Eric,

I looked and looked and could not find Johnie's in Volcano. Found all the other clips!

It's really interesting to see how Johnie's changed over the years.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:20 am

The Dude abides:

I don’t know that all versions of the DVD will be the same, but on my copy of “The Big Lebowski,â€￾ arguably the greatest bowling movie of all time, this scene is in Chapter 12 at about the 52 minute mark. The Dude and Walter are discussing Bunny’s (presumably) severed toe in this scene. (“You want a toe; I can get you a toe. Believe me. There are ways Dude, you don’t even want to know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you a toe by three o'clock this afternoon with nail polish.â€￾) There is another angle within the coffee shot in the opposite direction, showing most the counter.

I have "Reservoir Dogs" in my library too - I'll check that out for you later today.

sky

Postby sky » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:06 pm

I suspect that the scene you’re looking for in “Reservoir Dogsâ€￾ is the start of Chapter 15 on my DVD, the scene that with Mr. Orange discussing his undercover story in the diner. It’s about 1 hour three minutes into the film. You can see from the two shots I posted two entirely different looks. If that’s the right scene, there are several angels in the interior, but nothing that looked like “Lebowsky.â€￾
But, of course, I could be wrong. I’m not responding as a Johnie’s fan – I just happen to have those two movies available. And if I can’t spend some time for your eternal thanks, then well …

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:25 pm

Lynn,

Have you located a copy of MIDNIGHT MADNESS yet?

Today, I'm thinking this is my favorite Johnie's movie...

sky

Postby sky » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:08 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:51 pm

I'm simply seeking the Johnie's quotient! Big Lebowski has a FAR superior Hollywood Star Lanes rating....

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:53 am

Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:07 am

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Johnie's Wilshire

Postby lasvegaslynn » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:21 pm

Thanks to everybody for their help!

Midnight Madness, Miracle Mile, The Big Lebowski, Resevoir Dogs and some commercials that were shot there were all included.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:10 pm

Thanks Lynn!

That video was fabulous. I was shocked to see all of those commercial shoots you were able to include. Wonderful footage and well-edited.

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Johnie's

Postby lasvegaslynn » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:57 pm

Eric,

Glad you enjoyed it!!!

Nola gets all the credit for getting copies of the movies and copies of the commercials.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:35 pm

Everybody got a little weepy at the end of your compilation.. Thanks again, Lynn.
I met someone last nite who was sure Johnie's was in a David Lynch movie.. he thinks it was Mulholland Drive. First I had heard of that..

sky

Postby sky » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:46 pm

greenbot
Modern Fan

Postby greenbot » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:41 pm

The Winkie's in Mulholland Drive is the old 'Rock n Roll' Denny's on Sunset that was ripped down a few years ago. As they were building anew an arsonist torched it, later it was again transmogrified into some strange ugly italian? eatery.

Rodney Bingenheimer used to eat lunch there every day for decades.

-----Correction??
I just noticed this weekend in a book about Noir film locations that the Winkie's in the movie was a diner called Ceaser's in the South Bay? I could have sworn (the exterior anyway) was the old R&R Denny's.
This book had some great photos but was really patchy and incomplete so I guess the jury's still out. hmmmm
Last edited by greenbot on Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

veronica
Modern Fan

Rodney!

Postby veronica » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:16 pm

Yes Rodney ate at R'N R Dennys a lot. He also ate at the Orange Drive
I HOP back in the '80's. More recently he had a standing Saturday night reservation at the Mel's on Hollywood & Highland where I was his regular waitress. He always ordered the same thing! What a down to earth guy.
He sometimes brought in special guests and would have me add a 45 to the jukebox to honor them. (Nancy Sinatra was honored with "Sugartown"). I almost died the night he brought in Brian Wilson! Hooray for the Mayor of the Sunset Strip!

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”