Robert Winter talk?

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Robert Winter talk?

Postby davidk6 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:26 am

Some time back Robert Winter was scheduled to give a talk on his new book, "The Architecture of Entertainment: LA in the Twenties." The talk was subsequently cancelled or postoned.

Does anyone know if it's been rescheduled?

Thanks
Dave
Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:54 am

I understand he is not in the best shape. I have not heard of a rescheduled date.

SkipHome
Modern Master

Robert Winter

Postby SkipHome » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:19 pm

I could have sworn I saw an obituary for him -- not long after an LA Times article/interview with him? Can anyone confirm?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:53 pm

Two articles came out on April 27. Nothing seems to have happened since then. I'm calling his publisher to find out. Too scared to call his house.

LOS ANGELES TIMES
A cinematic awakening transforms L.A. architecture
By Robert Winter, Special to The Times
April 27, 2006

Robert Winter's new book, "The Architecture of Entertainment: L.A. in the Twenties," details how advertising and movies introduced eclecticism and exoticism to Southern California architecture. Passages from the work:

BY 1929 an estimated 20 million to 30 million Americans were watching movies every week, and the film industry was claiming the largest portion of the average American's recreation budget. As Lary May noted in his book "Screening Out the Past: The Birth of Mass Culture and the Motion Picture Industry," the movies' depictions of glamorous surroundings and foreign cultures encouraged "a quest for a more exotic life." They were a means of escape, as were the period revivals in architecture that they often displayed...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/valle ... 8486.story

Set in stone and tile
For decades, historian Robert Winter has preserved a 1909 bungalow in Pasadena that resonates with timeless beauty.
By Dinah Eng, Special to The Times
April 27, 2006

Robert Winter doesn't hesitate when asked if he feels the presence of famed tile maker Ernest Batchelder and his wife in this Pasadena home. "Oh my, yes," says Winter, chuckling. "The fireplace reminds me the Batchelders are here. Alice's piano still echoes through the house, even though it's on a phonograph record. So far they've been awful nice to me."

As they should. For the last 34 years, Winter has owned the Batchelders' former home and been guardian of the legacy that lives inside, preserving the 1909 Craftsman on the east side of the Arroyo Seco as a homage to the legendary artisan who built it...

http://www.latimes.com/features/printed ... 7721.story

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:47 pm

I talked to the publicist at Gibbs Smith and it looks like the author is settling in for a long Winter's nap - he's not in a condition to reschedule. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”