Monarch Beach Orange County Modern Home Tour

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Monarch Beach Orange County Modern Home Tour

Postby JAB » Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:24 am

JAB

Postby JAB » Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:26 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Confused

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:41 pm

I think someone is confused about builders. First off, Eichler didn't have any "in-house architects." Second, I have never seen any of those names associated with Eichler. Third, None of the Eichler history speaks of Dana Point. His So Cal ventures are well documented. [/b]

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:10 pm

the link to the article is here: http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/e ... OME_GARDEN
i think someone at the newspaper may be confusing all Modern homes with Eichlers?

Anyone want to call the Dana Point Historical Society and report back what they have to say about this? (949) 248-8121

JAB

Postby JAB » Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:30 am

I left a message on their voice mail. I'll let you know if I get a response.

P.S. Thanks for posting the topic on the Eichler Network forum MM.

JAB

Postby JAB » Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:31 pm

I just got off of the phone with Alice Baum from the Dana Point Historical Society. She stated that the OC Register made an error in stating that the homes were constructed by Eichler. They were apparently influenced by what Eichler was doing and one of the Architects even copied from one of the Jones & Emmons plans that Eichler used. Alice stated that she has been in touch with our own Leslie from I believe the Fairhaven Eichler tract in Orange. Are you out there Leslie?

bluecherub
Modern Master

Postby bluecherub » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:03 am

:D Eichler. It's going to be like the term Refrigerator, at first a brand name but now a generic for any Mid Century Modern Post and Beam style home.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

he said, she said...

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:39 am

Here's what the OC told me...

"I get my information from press releases sent to me by the companies that have these local events. The person who sent that particular release got their information from the Historical Society documents in Dana Point."

Thanks,
Roxanne Hack
News assistant
Orange County Register
(714) 796-7729

I bet the historical society was hoping to get a couple extra Eichler fans to the event. I don't think they expected this kind of backlash.

Leslie
Modern Groupie

Monarch Bay "Eichler Tour"

Postby Leslie » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:27 am

I actually spoke to Don, Allison Burnes husband the day the article came out in the Register. I will be attending the event, as I love the area and touring
mid-century homes. I was under the impression that these are a few custom
privately commisioned Eichlers using different architects, but that information could be incorrect. Regardless, should be a very nice tour.

JAB

Postby JAB » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:12 pm

Leslie, did you enjoy the tour? Did anyone else attend? My wife and I enjoyed ourselves. I mean, what else could one want other than Mid-Century Modern living on the "California Riviera". Unfortunaetly, we didn't run into either Alice Baum or her husband Don Burnes during our time there.

Leslie
Modern Groupie

Postby Leslie » Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:24 am

Hi JB,
I did enjoy the tour and ran into several of my Eichler neighbors there.
I was SHOCKED at the price of the homes considering they are on leased land. I did see Don and Alice, but didn't disturb them as they were extremely busy coordinating the busses etc. Also, I tried to have dinner/cocktails at the SA
Memphis last night, but was dismayed to learn they are not doing the business they expected and have cut back to dinners only (no lunch) a few nights a week.

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”