SF Valley, CA Conservancy Spectacular/Vernacular TourOct. 29

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

SF Valley, CA Conservancy Spectacular/Vernacular TourOct. 29

Postby nichols » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:46 pm

Spectacular/Vernacular: High-Style Roots of Everyday Modernism
Have you ever stood in your living room and thought, “I wonder why my house has that interesting window?â€￾ or “Why does my fireplace look just like the one I saw in that Schindler house?â€￾ This fall, the Conservancy’s Modern Committee will attempt to answer these questions and more on our Spectacular/Vernacular tour. Each of the homes on the tour will illustrate some of the tangible and philosophical linkages between high-style (unique, architect-designed) modernism and everyday modernism. Focused in the San Fernando Valley, where this nexus is most clearly evident, the featured homes will be a mixture of works by the California modern masters and those by less well known architects and builders who helped bring modernism to a broader audience.

LECTURE:
Alan Hess on the Ranch House
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
7:30 p.m.
St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church (Jones & Emmons, 1962)
Studio City
Cost: $5/Members, $10/non-members
Renowned architecture critic, author, and historian Alan Hess will discuss the history and comback of the ranch house, ubiquitous in Sothern California and the subject of his latest book.
Signed copies fo the book will be available for purchace.
Click here for printable Lecture/Tour order form

MODERN HOME TOUR:
Sunday, October 29 , 2006
10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Various homes in the San Fernando Valley; locations provided with ticket
Cost: $25/Members, $30/non-members

This self-driven tour offers a rare glimpse inside a range of mid-century modern homes that exemplify both unique "high-style" designs and the vernacular designs they influenced. Details on the tour homes will be posted as they become available.

http://www.laconservancy.org/events/events_main.php4
Last edited by nichols on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:56 am

This is going to be an excellent tour -- we've got some great houses lined up!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:13 pm

wow - i gotta drive down for this one!

are you needing volunteers?

teej
Modern Fan

Postby teej » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:16 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:49 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:49 am

Don't forget the exciting ALAN HESS lecture coming up this Wednesday nite

LECTURE:
Alan Hess on the Ranch House
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
7:30 p.m.
St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church (Jones & Emmons, 1962)
Studio City
Cost: $5/Members, $10/non-members
Renowned architecture critic, author, and historian Alan Hess will discuss the history and comback of the ranch house, ubiquitous in Sothern California and the subject of his latest book.
Signed copies fo the book will be available for purchace.
Click here for printable Lecture/Tour order form

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:20 pm

This looks like some fun!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

PlanetGlass
Modern Master

Postby PlanetGlass » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:02 pm

The address of the St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church is 3646 Coldwater Canyon Ave.

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:38 am

Was looking forward to seeing all y'all there...I've had my ticket for weeks. But something's come up and I need to go out of town. But if I'll make a deal with you tourgoers...somebody post lotsa pix of the tour, and I'll return to LA and post lotsa pix of the neglected Modernism of New Orleans. What's left of it, anyway...

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”