Kitchen remodel/cabinet cost

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Kitchen remodel/cabinet cost

Postby Sienna » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:53 pm

I have a 1953 CLiff May and I ned to redo the kitchen. To have a good cabinet maker build cabinets will cost about 11,000 - 14,000. This is way to much for me to spend. Of course IKEA would be a viable option but I want to eexplore other options before making a final decision. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for cabinets in the LB area?

One of my main questions is what is the difference between particle board and compressed wood?

thanks

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: Kitchen remodel/cabinet cost

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:32 am

Sienna wrote:I have a 1953 CLiff May and I ned to redo the kitchen. To have a good cabinet maker build cabinets will cost about 11,000 - 14,000. This is way to much for me to spend. Of course IKEA would be a viable option but I want to eexplore other options before making a final decision. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for cabinets in the LB area?

One of my main questions is what is the difference between particle board and compressed wood?

thanks

You may want to talk to another cabinet maker. One of the problems with a good cabinet maker is that sometimes they are too good and while their quality is great, it's not always something you're willing to pay for and it might be overkill for the project.

As a price reference, about a year ago my parents built a 3700 sq ft house in AZ. Their builder suggested a local cabinet maker over Kraftmaid. I'm sure there was some volume discounting but they spent about $28,000 for kitchen (with huge central island / table), great-room built-ins (12lf of book-shelf and 25lf of floor-to-ceiling entertainment center), laundry room, and 3 full bathrooms. as for constructions standards, the frames and doors are solid distressed hickory. Interiors are melamine foil MDF, I think.

I'd say your next step would be another cabinet maker for reference and looking at some semi-custom stuff. But, for the styles you want I have a feeling it won't be much less than $8-10K and at that point you might as well shop custom and get EXACTLY the style and finish you want.

vvvvvv Blog updated
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:38 pm

I can do 8K for birch but I just cant see spending more than that on simple cabinets with nothing ornate, no borders, normal hardware, etc...

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:11 pm

Sienna wrote:I can do 8K for birch but I just cant see spending more than that on simple cabinets with nothing ornate, no borders, normal hardware, etc...

Have you looked at the "Ramdala" design at Ikea? The doors and drawers are solid birch.

I agree....$11k for a Cliff May-sized kitchen in something not carved by hand seems ridiculous. You could start going to euro places for that much.
Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:39 am

Sienna

We are in the process of finishing our kitchen (Still have to tile, flooring to finish) but we received about 10 different quotes from different sources. We went with IKEA as it was the most reasonable option and so far are very pleased. Our entire kitchen with Jenn Air Appliances, silestone COuntertops and custom tile backsplash will cost us under 15k. That included tear-out, installation, some electrical and a bit of custom work to the partition wall to open up the space and create an island. We chose ABSRAKT White Cabinets and total cost of those alone was around $2500.00. Used the IKEA Installers and so far we are very happy with them. We did make the mistake of doing all wood countertops, which we are now changing out to Silestone. (that was a $500 mistake :oops: ). The only company that came close to our budget was Pioneer Cabinets. Custom Frameless came in at 8k, but that was without tear-out, electrical, etc. Also their current lead time was about 8-10 weeks and we wanted to complete everything by end of summer. If you want to take a look at them, or maybe get some desing ideas let me know, We are on Roxanne.

Danny

Staar
Modern Master

Postby Staar » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:31 am

maybe leave the cabinets and make the new doors yourself? i bought my husband all the tools to do that before we bought a house thinking we wouldn't be lucky enough to find a house with its original cabinets. luckily, we did and didn't have to make our own doors.

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:47 am

BOXOUTBM wrote:Sienna

We are in the process of finishing our kitchen (Still have to tile, flooring to finish) but we received about 10 different quotes from different sources. We went with IKEA as it was the most reasonable option and so far are very pleased. Our entire kitchen with Jenn Air Appliances, silestone COuntertops and custom tile backsplash will cost us under 15k. That included tear-out, installation, some electrical and a bit of custom work to the partition wall to open up the space and create an island. We chose ABSRAKT White Cabinets and total cost of those alone was around $2500.00. Used the IKEA Installers and so far we are very happy with them. We did make the mistake of doing all wood countertops, which we are now changing out to Silestone. (that was a $500 mistake :oops: ). The only company that came close to our budget was Pioneer Cabinets. Custom Frameless came in at 8k, but that was without tear-out, electrical, etc. Also their current lead time was about 8-10 weeks and we wanted to complete everything by end of summer. If you want to take a look at them, or maybe get some desing ideas let me know, We are on Roxanne.

Danny

Hey BOX, I would love to come and see! thanks!

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:00 am

Anytime. Just let me know when.

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:00 am

BOXOUTBM wrote: We did make the mistake of doing all wood countertops, which we are now changing out to Silestone. (that was a $500 mistake :oops: ).
Danny

We redid our entire kitchen with new stainless steel appliances and custom cabinetry for under $25K--a pretty big kitchen (our cabinetry alone was $6K). However, that was back in 2000!! So I know prices are WAY more inflated. That said, one thing I wanted to comment was that we did also do our countertops in wood, which was amazing. No regrets there. We got solid walnut countertops for half the price of granite. We would just lightly sand them by hand and treat them with a water repeller every couple of months. It was worth it.

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:56 am

We got solid walnut countertops for half the price of granite. We would just lightly sand them by hand and treat them with a water repeller every couple of months. It was worth it.

No To Hyjack the Thread But...

What did you use as a water repellant? I am currently applying wood oil and doing some light sanding as needed. Unfortunately I am doing this on a daily basis, thus my decision to change it. We entertain quite a bit and already have a couple of rings marks from people placing drinks on the island. Also we have had a couple of red wine stains that luckily I was able to get out with sanding. I feel like a slave to my Countertops, but maybe I am too concerned with making every perfect.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:10 pm

I second the motion on replacing doors only. I spent about $1500 on new cabinet doors for my kitchen, both baths and a living rom built in. Here's a before and after of the kitchen (I shellaced them myself...4 coats, uggg!!!)...

Before...

After...

Another after...

Good luck with whatever you choose.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:42 pm

Wow Robb!
That "after" is a far cry from the "before" picture! NICE JOB.
-Sara

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:45 pm

*** :wink: *** GREAT JOB! Very nice!!!
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:03 am

Great job robb, if I was staying with the same configuration this would be so much easier but I am changing the layout of the cabinets and can't really reuse any of them, or just replace the doors

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:37 pm

Thanks everyone for the positive comments on my kitchen. I couldn't afford a complete gut and re-model (would have loved to start moving walls, etc), but I'm very pleased with the results we achieved considering the price tag.

Sienna: As part of my kitchen re-do, I moved the washer and dryer out of the kitchen and replaced them with inexpensive unfinished pre-built cabinetry from Lowes. We painted those gloss white as we did the walls and existing cabinets, and had the same custom doors and drawer fronts made. Pretty affordable...just food for thought?

Good luck with your project!

--Robb

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:12 am

robbhouston wrote:Thanks everyone for the positive comments on my kitchen. I couldn't afford a complete gut and re-model (would have loved to start moving walls, etc), but I'm very pleased with the results we achieved considering the price tag.

Sienna: As part of my kitchen re-do, I moved the washer and dryer out of the kitchen and replaced them with inexpensive unfinished pre-built cabinetry from Lowes. We painted those gloss white as we did the walls and existing cabinets, and had the same custom doors and drawer fronts made. Pretty affordable...just food for thought?

Good luck with your project!

--Robb

This is actually a good suggestion - what material were the unfinished Lowes made of? The thing I want to stay away from is particle board.

thanks

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:52 am

Hey Robb,
Would you post adetail pic of your cabinets and drawers? I looked at your website and saw more but I'd love to see close ups of the cabinet doors and drawer fronts. I'm gettin' some ideas over here...

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:45 am

Sienna: They seem to be a combination of birch, pine and possibly some particle. Not super high end, but suitable for my purposes. The door and drawer fronts were actually kind of nice, seemed like birch. But they would not have matched the rest of my new doors, so I removed them. Lowes keeps them in stock. You might go by and check them out first hand.

roxy500: Sure thing! Below are more images and descriptions...

Here's a cabinet door prior to shellacking...

I got the handle idea from a 1960s kitchen I'd seen on the web. I showed my cabinet maker that image, plus a drawing I'd made. He made a small door as a test (for free) for me to approve before making the rest of the pieces.

Here's the bath cabinet during the install of the new doors and drawers fronts...

The old drawer fronts were actually part of the drawer frames themselves. So rather than try and take the drawers apart, I trimmed off the excess wood that made up the outer edge of the front with a jig saw. That way the drawers would slide in another 1/4" or so, flush with the cabinet face. The cabinet maker then simply bolted on the new drawer fronts.

Here's the bath cabinet with everything in place...

After removing the old doors and drawers, all kitchen and bath cabintry was primed and painted with oil based paints, gloss white was used to finish. With all that fresh white paint, full coverage doors and drawer fronts were absolutely necessary for the over all effect to work. After they went in, it almost looked like all new cabinetry.

Here's a kitchen cabinet with a new door open....

Note the hidden hinges, sometimes referred to as Euro Hinges. You can also see the doors go all the way to the crown molding. I wanted the entire cabinet front covered, even though some of the space covered would be blank cabinet front.

Anyway, it was a ton of work. I must have shellacked 40+ pieces total! But, it was worth it.

Hope all that is helpful.

--Robb
Last edited by robbhouston on Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:23 pm

Okay, totally cool. We'd talked about redoing our kitchen but we wanted our re-do to look sort of like what we already have, but better. Here is what we have:

Someday we also want to replace that TINY sink. We tried and the cabinets underneath were 1/4" too narrow for a new sink. Anyway, your new cabinets look like our old ones. Did you put those fancy hinges on yourself?

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:35 am

Wow, that is a tiny sink. Surprising you can't put in a typical sized kitchen sink. I see your handles are similar to what I had made, interesting. Here's the image I used as the example for my cabinet maker...

Regarding the hinges, I let the cabinet maker install all the doors and drawer fronts. When he'd finished making them, I picked them up, brought them home and shellacked away for a few weeks. Then I called him up and he came over and installed everything. I didn't want to take a chance screwing it up after all the effort and cost I'd put in.

--Robb

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:57 am

robbhouston wrote:Image

That's a pretty source of inspiration. I know this is a bit off-topic, but I really like the idea of an under-counter microwave. That's a device that I think typically gets way too much prominence in the kitchen.

It's so nice to see this thread but also a bit bitter-sweet since it will be a while before my kitchen can be renovated. And also, my cabinets are crap -- "Mill's Pride" (hardly) -- the cheapest line of cabinets available at Home Despot. So no trick door replacement makeover for me :(

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:52 am

I wanted my microwave flush mounted in the cabinet over the oven. The only kind of microwaves stocked at Lowes, Depot and most big electronic stores like Best Buy are either plain table-top or over-the-stove mounted types. I had to special order a microwave that could be "wall mounted" (not a lot to choose from in this design, btw), and the mounting kit was additional to the cost.

I'm very happy with the final result. It was pure chance that my oven below it was also a GE. Don't you love it when that happens? :)

When it came to my renovation, I was always trying to find creative ways to get a cool look with a limited budget. That said...here's a hair brained suggestion that I might try if I had your cabinets: Cut panels out of 1/4" birch (4'x8' sheets are cheap @ Lowes) that would fit perfectly the over the doors and drawer fronts? Shellac or stain prior to mounting. You'd end up with something similar to what I've have, white cabinets with wooden fronts. While the doors and drawers were off, you might also consider painting the edges and backs black, that way white would kind of "go away". I painted the edges and backs of my shellaced valances black and it looked pretty cool...

Did the same thing with a table I refinished...

Anyway...it's all just food for thought. Maybe the birch panel idea is kinda nuts. But it's fun to think outside the box, often gets other ideas going.

--Robb
Last edited by robbhouston on Sun May 27, 2007 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:50 pm

Robb, I marvel at your ability to get beautiful results economically, and in pretty short order. Hats off to you, guy.

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:12 pm

BOXOUTBM wrote:No To Hyjack the Thread But...

What did you use as a water repellant? I am currently applying wood oil and doing some light sanding as needed. Unfortunately I am doing this on a daily basis, thus my decision to change it. We entertain quite a bit and already have a couple of rings marks from people placing drinks on the island. Also we have had a couple of red wine stains that luckily I was able to get out with sanding. I feel like a slave to my Countertops, but maybe I am too concerned with making every perfect.

I can't remember the name but it is a non-food oil that is extremely long lasting. Actually, it's not even an oil, it's like a gel. I used to buy it at House of Hardwood in Los Angeles (west LA?). Expensive stuff but it goes a long way. It was in a white pint size tin (like paint tins) They would know the stuff if you ask them.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:19 am

Robb, I marvel at your ability to get beautiful results economically, and in pretty short order. Hats off to you, guy.

I've been off line a while, traveling. Just wanted to say thanks for the compliment!

--Robb

richirobert
Modern Groupie

Postby richirobert » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Sorry dear I don’t have no idea about this topic so you ask to a expert or Google, definitely you will get answered. Thank you

peterjordene
Modern Groupie

Postby peterjordene » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 pm

I am thinking of renovating my kitchen, this thread will definitely gonna help me a lot.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”